The DL-21 was similar in appearance to other BlasTech pistols, such as the DL-44 heavy blaster pistol. However, this version featured a flared muzzle, which produced scattered energy charges. It also featured a top-mounted targeting scope, and a safety lever inside the trigger guard.
Since BlasTech refused to enter into an exclusive agreement with the Galactic Empire, many of its weapons fell into the hands of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. A number of DL-21 pistols were used by Rebel forces during the invasion of Hoth in 3 ABY, and at the Battle of Endor a year later in the hands of Lieutenant Renz. Dengar was seen with a holstered DL-21 onboard the Executor. Ponda Baba also carried a modified DL-21 during his partnership with Cornelius Evazan. This particular blaster lacked a safety mechanism, and included cooling vents on the flared muzzle, and a comfortable hand grip suitable for Aqualish hands.
Behind the scenes
The DL-21 prop is a combination of the body of an AR-7 Explorer made by Charter Arms and a Sterling L2A3 submachine gun grip. The flared muzzle is the fin assembly from a WWII British 2" Mortar shell.
- Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary (First identified as DL-21 blaster pistol)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia (Picture only)
- Parts of Star Wars: Hoth Rebel Trooper Blaster Pistol (Unofficial)
- Parts of Star Wars: Ponda Baba's Blaster Pistol (Unofficial)