- "Hey—your spy droids discovered this freighter. You gonna doubt your own tech the way you're doubting me and mine?"
- ―Cad Bane, to Darth Maul
The DRK-1 probe was a spherical probe droid capable of floating above the ground. Equipped with a single eye, these droids had a black carapace and were fitted with an antenna rising from their globe-like body.
- "Show me."
- ―Darth Maul commanding one of his DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droids
The Sith Lord Darth Maul made use of several DRK-1 probes, keeping at least three of the spy droids aboard his personal starship, the Scimitar. He utilized these droids to track down a freighter belonging to the Haddrex Gang on Nar Shaddaa, which led Maul and his bounty hunter compatriots to the hideout of Xev Xrexus in the Drazkel system. There, Maul followed one of the droids to the location where Jedi Padawan Eldra Kaitis was imprisoned.
In 32 BBY, Maul launched three probe droids while seeking out Queen Padmé Amidala on Tatooine, and successfully located her Jedi protector, Qui-Gon Jinn. Maul recalled his probes and set out on his speeder, the Bloodfin, to engage Jinn in a lightsaber duel. However one of these droids, after rescuing a labor droid and being saved from a sandcrawler by the same droid, decided to remain on Tatoonie with its new friend.
- Darth Maul, Part II
- Darth Maul, Part III
- Darth Maul, Part IV
- Darth Maul, Part V
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- "Probe Droid Problem"—Darth Maul, Part I
- Star Wars: Commander (First identified as Repair droid)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Droid Depot (As toy)
- (First identified as Sith seeker)
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Ultimate Star Wars (Indirect mention only) (As "probe droids")
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as DRK-1 Dark Eye probe droid)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Droidography
- Star Wars: The Dark Side