Dactillion were large, winged, carnivorous reptavians native to the planet Utapau. The creatures used their wings to catch thermal updrafts from within the massive sinkholes they called home, allowing them to fly toward the surface. They could also use their claws to scales the walls of the sinkholes. They sported two pronged horns on the end of their beaked mouth that they used in both defense and combat.
The native sentient Utai managed to tame to dactillion by feeding them meat, though they themselves used to be part of the creatures' diet. The dactillion's ability to traverse great distances quickly made it an important means of travel for locals. They were also used as mounts in battle, grabbing enemies with their strong claws and using their horns. Dactillion were also present on the world of Shantipole.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Dactillions were first envisioned as a Jedi mount on Utapau during the story development of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. A concept model of the dactillion had Ki-Adi-Mundi riding the beast.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Death on Utapau"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "In Search of the Crystal"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crystal Crisis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Last Shot
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wings of the Master"
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (as leather)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Utapauns; Highlights of the Saga: Intrigue on Utapau)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- (First identified as dactillion)