- "The sticky secretions that swamp slugs leave in their wake are unusually saccharine, with hints of the fragrant swamp herbs that they have digested. Whenever I can get my mitts on a bottle of their gorgeous goop, I use it to mix into drinks or pour over desserts. And when there ain't any slugs around to help replenish my syrup supply, I know how to make a pretty sweet imitation usin' some everyday ingredients."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Dagobah Slug Syrup was a syrup that imitated the sticky secretions of swamp slugs, a species native to the swamp planet Dagobah. The slime of the slugs was sugary with hints of the fragrant herbs that the slugs had digested. It was prized by mixologists and cooks, including the Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs, who described it as "unusually saccharine" and poured it over desserts or mixed it into drinks.
Tuggs developed an imitation of the slime that used everyday herbs, sugar, and water to make a clear liquid infused with sweetness and herbaceous flavor, suitable for use as a substitute syrup when the slugs were in short supply. In 34 ABY, Tuggs authored The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which included his recipes for Dagobah Slug Syrup and two cocktails that were sweetened with the syrup, Photon Fizzle and Dagobah Slug Slinger.
Behind the scenes
Dagobah Slug Syrup was introduced in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. The out-of-universe recipe uses the ingredients sugar, water, fresh ginger, and a sprig of rosemary. The rosemary and ginger are strained out of the syrup after it is infused with their flavors.
For the Dagobah Slug Slinger, the syrup is used to sweeten other ingredients to make a cocktail that is garnished with another sprig of rosemary. In the Photon Fizzle, the Dagobah Slug Syrup is used with food coloring gel to steep boba pearls and turn them green.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.