- "Dantooine? That's in the middle of nowhere."
"That's the whole point. Where else could the rebels hide?"
- ―Thane Kyrell and an Imperial officer
- "Dantooine. They're on Dantooine."
- ―Leia Organa, lying about the location of the Rebel base
A crucial Galactic Republic battlefront during the Clone Wars, Jedi Master Mace Windu led a battle on Dantooine; however, many of his troopers were injured. Windu's forces sent out a distress signal and awaited a delivery of medical supplies from Padawans Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee.
During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, Dantooine was an Alliance to Restore the Republic regional headquarters and operations sector. Dantooine was included in a map of the galaxy that listed safe worlds, starfighter hubs at level five or higher, regional headquarters and operations sectors, and deep space caches. The map was then incorporated in The Rebel Files.
In 2 BBY, during the early rebellion, the former Imperial Senator and rebel leader Mon Mothma made arrangements for the rebel fleet to rendezvous above Dantooine. She wanted to unify the disparate rebel cells and factions and make official the Rebel Alliance. With the help of Phoenix Leader Hera Syndulla and the Spectres, Mothma managed to travel through the dangerous Archeon pass to Dantooine. Above Dantooine, Mothma gave an impassioned HoloNet speech urging the galaxy to rise up in rebellion against the Empire. Shortly later, the rebel fleet converged above Dantooine.
Shortly before the Galactic Civil War, the Rebellion briefly used the planet as the location of a base. By the time of the Battle of Scarif, that base had been abandoned, and the Rebels had established their headquarters on the jungle moon Yavin 4, a location that was already in use by Jan Dodonna's rebel cell.
When Princess Leia Organa was held captive on the Death Star, Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin threatened to destroy her home planet of Alderaan if she did not provide him with the location of the Rebellion's secret base. Organa then lied to him, disclosing the location of the then-current base as Dantooine. Tarkin impatient to try out the Death Star's superlaser at full capacity and deemed Dantooine "too remote to make an effective demonstration" and ordered the destruction of Alderaan anyway. Nonetheless, Imperial forces, led by General Cassio Tagge, reconnoitered Dantooine, only to find the remains of the abandoned Rebel base. Upon learning this, Tarkin ordered Organa's immediate execution. Thane Kyrell was one of those who were sent to explore Dantooine, and he was surprised by the level of organization and sophistication he saw in the abandoned base.
Behind the scenesEdit
Dantooine was first mentioned in the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, the first installment of the Star Wars original trilogy. In the film, it was mentioned as a former location for a Rebel base and has since been only briefly mentioned in passing in canon. Stories from the Expanded Universe, later re-branded as Star Wars Legends, particularly the Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, provided extensive details both about the planet's composition and history, within the Legends context.
Early versions of the 2015 sequel trilogy film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens had the First Order converting Dantooine into their superweapon and retrofitting the abandoned Rebel base for their own purposes, having been previously retrofitted by the Galactic Empire. The superlaser was set inside an old volcano, stealing energy from the suns of the system, with X-wing fighters trying to dive-bomb into it. Literally and metaphorically bringing more darkness to the galaxy, the base's name was to be the "Doom Star".
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 2.0 2.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ Poe Dameron: Flight Log states that atmospheres habitable to oxygen-breathers, such as humans, are known as "Type 1" atmospheres. Lost Stars shows that Dantooine's atmosphere is breathable to humans; therefore, the planet has a Type 1 atmosphere.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ "The Trigger"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 13: The Enormous Profit, Part V
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Secret Cargo"
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Lost Stars
- ↑ The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- ↑ Live Facebook interview with John Knoll. The Hollywood Reporter (February 7, 2017, 8:11 pm). Retrieved on October 28, 2014, 2:10 pm. "Meet your Oscar nominee John Knoll, Visual Effects Supervisor on 'Star Wars: Rogue One.' Ask him questions in the comments below."