- "With regret, I report that my fleet will no longer be able to provide protection for the troops on Ryloth. I repeat my request that help be sent right away."
- ―Admiral Dao, reporting the status of his fleet to the Jedi Council
During the Clone Wars, a Venator-class Star Destroyer served in the naval forces of the Galactic Republic as the flagship of Admiral Dao and his relief supply fleet. In 22 BBY, the Star Destroyer fought alongside another Venator in orbit of the planet Ryloth in an attempt to repel a blockade of Confederacy of Independent Systems warships commanded by Captain Mar Tuuk.
However, while engaging the Confederacy's blockade, Dao's Star Destroyer suffered extensive damage and lost much of its fuel and ammunition, rendering the flagship's shields and reactors inoperable. The ship and the other Venator were destroyed, resulting in Dao's death and loss of the Republic fleet. As a result, the Confederacy was able to establish a planetary blockade while the Republic's garrison continued to engage the Separatist Droid Army on the world's surface.
- "The main reactor's been hit, sir. Systems are shutting down. We are dead in space."
- ―A clone navigation officer, to Admiral Dao
A Venator-class Star Destroyer, the Star Destroyer possessed a single command bridge which contained a holographic display table in the center and two pits for its command crews. The bridge also provided its crew with a 180-degree view of the surrounding space from a series of viewports. Boasting a main reactor and a deflector shield generator, the ship was armed with weapon systems and was further equipped with a communications device.
- "Admiral Dao, this is General Di. We're in trouble down here. We need those supplies immediately."
"I understand, General, but I am in no position to help. We are critically low on fuel and ammunition."
- ―Admiral Dao, speaking to Jedi General Ima-Gun-Di on his fleet
In 22 BBY, during the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems, the planet Ryloth was invaded by the Confederacy's droid armies in an attempt to claim the world and its hyperspace location. In an effort to hinder the invasion force, a Republic relief supply fleet commanded by Admiral Dao aboard a Venator-class Star Destroyer and supplemented by a second Venator, engaged the Confederacy's blockade of warships led by Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk. While the fleets battled in orbit, a small garrison of Republic clone troopers led by Jedi General Ima-Gun Di fought against the invading Separatist Droid Army on the surface.
Amid the orbital engagements, Dao's flagship was contacted by General Di on the surface, who requested additional supplies from the fleet for his forces and the resistance force of native Twi'leks led by General Cham Syndulla, which had been depleted of its resources from the battle. However, despite the Jedi Master's pleas, the Republic admiral explained—as one of Dao's Star Destroyers was destroyed—that his fleet was in no position to provide assistance as a result of his starships being critically low on fuel and ammunition. In response, Di ordered the admiral to once more contact the Jedi Temple on the planet Coruscant.
Contacting the Jedi High Council on Coruscant, Admiral Dao requested that assistance be dispatched to Ryloth as soon as possible. During his meeting with Jedi Masters Mace Windu and Yoda, however, the admiral was informed by a clone navigation officer that his warship had been rendered inoperable as their main reactor was destroyed, resulting in the Star Destroyer's subsequent destruction following the deactivation of their shields. Despite the destruction of Dao's fleet, the Republic was able to deliver relief supplies to Ryloth and its starving population following a humanitarian dispute on the planet Toydaria.
Commanders and crew
The Venator-class Star Destroyer served as the command ship of Admiral Dao and his relief supply fleet during the Battle of Ryloth. Its bridge was crewed by several clone troopers and clone navigation officers.
Behind the scenes
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Supply Lines"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi" in 22 BBY. As "Supply Lines" takes place between these two pieces of media according to , the events of the episode, including the destruction of Dao's Venator-class Star Destroyer in the Ryloth system, must also take place in 22 BBY.
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- Ghosts of Dathomir