- "The Rebellion just leaked it on the DarkNet—it's getting play all over the place."
- ―Okkul shows Lando Calrissian the leaked footage of the Battle of Yavin
The DarkNet was a communications system used during the reign of the Galactic Empire. Files from the DarkNet could be accessed for viewing through holo-screens. The Rebel Alliance used the system to air anti-Imperial propaganda clips.
Shortly after the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, the Rebel Alliance leaked footage of the space battle in the Yavin system on the DarkNet, which displayed the destruction of the Death Star, the Empire's moon-sized planet-killing battle station. As the leaked footage spread quickly, the smuggler Lando Calrissian watched it in a cantina with several patrons including Lobot, a close friend of Calrissian. The cantina owner, Okkul, had already watched the footage multiple times, but did not mind playing it again for Calrissian, who was surprised to see his old starship, the Millennium Falcon, participating in the battle.
Behind the scenes
The DarkNet was first mentioned in the 2017 short story "The Angle," authored by Charles Soule as part of From a Certain Point of View, a short story anthology collection. The real-world Darknet is a part of the Internet which is not indexed by regular web search engines and where anonymously-run websites exist.
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi audiobook (Mentioned only)
- "The Angle"—From a Certain Point of View (First mentioned, simultaneous with From a Certain Point of View audiobook)
- From a Certain Point of View audiobook (Mentioned only)