- "You do not understand the power of the weapons you have brought to this place. The echo of the dark side is heavy around them. The din is so great that even my senses are clouded."
- ―Darth Vader, to Sana Starros
A pair of crossguard lightsabers were once owned by Darth Atrius during a time when the Sith were plentiful and powerful. Sometime after the Battle of Yavin, the sabers were recovered by the smuggler Sana Starros and she sold one of them to a crime lord on Hradreek, and the other to the Galactic Empire. Both were later destroyed by Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in 0 ABY during the Galactic Civil War.
- "The lightsaber of Darth Atrius. A powerful weapon. So much rage was channeled through this blade, they say it still resonates with the anger Atrius wielded when he cut down his enemies."
- ―A crime lord, speaking about one of the lightsabers
Millennia before the Battle of Yavin, during the time the Sith were plentiful and powerful, the Sith Lord Darth Atrius constructed a pair of crossguard lightsabers. Atrius used the sabers to strike down many opponents and claim many victories. Over time Atrius' rage infected the saber, causing anyone who wielded it to fall into a frenzy. Upon Atrius' death the sabers were lost.
Rediscovery and destruction
- "N-no. No…I'm not going to let you…overwhelm me."
- ―Luke Skywalker, shortly before he destroys one of the sabers
A short time after the Battle of Yavin, the Galactic Empire hired smuggler Sana Starros to retrieve the lightsabers. She tracked down the sabers and retrieved them, however she had also been been hired by a crime boss on Hradreek to fulfill the same task. Attempting to deceive the groups she gave one saber to each employer, hoping they wouldn't take notice of the missing second saber. First she gave one to the Empire and they were fooled by her trick, she then gave the second saber to the crime boss but was called out on her deceit.
The crime boss ignited the blade and began questioning the smuggler on the location of the other saber, he fell into a frenzy and killed all of his men. At the same time an Imperial officer presented the saber to Darth Vader, who planned to hand over the sabers to his Master, Darth Sidious. When Vader learnt of the missing saber he executed the officer and set off to recover the other. Meanwhile the rebel pilot Luke Skywalker entered the room in which the crime boss had slaughtered his crew and found the lightsaber on the floor, he used the weapon to slaughter a squad of Imperial Stormtroopers who discovered him with the corpses. To avoid more Imperial forces Skywalker stole a nearby podracer and fled in it, crashing it shortly after. Realizing he had evaded the Empire, Skywalker decided that the lightsaber was too dangerous to be kept in one piece, and used his lightsaber to destroy Atrius' blade.
Meanwhile Vader ran into a group of thugs who Starros had hired to keep the Imperials off her back, he utilized the weapon to kill all of the thugs. He proceeded to track Starros to a warehouse where she had set an ambush for him, Starros detonated the roof of the warehouse, crushing Vader and allowing her to escape. When Vader escaped the rubble he observed Skywalker leaving. Deciding the saber was too unpredictable Vader crushed the weapon.
- Star Wars Annual (2015) 4 (First appearance)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- Star Wars: The Secrets of the Sith