Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber was the first personal double-bladed lightsaber of Darth Maul, a Sith Lord who took part in the Invasion of Naboo and the Clone Wars. The Sith lightsaber was cut in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi during their duel on Naboo, and Maul continued to use the remaining half in battle until he temporarily lost it in his duel with his former master on Mandalore. He recovered the half after being freed from prison, and reformed it into a double-bladed hilt.
Origins and SpecificationsEdit
The saberstaff consisted of two lightsabers fused together so the blades extend in a single line. Each blade could be ignited separately with blade modulation controls depending on the situation and the opponent being faced. Its design was based on ancient plans found deep within a Sith holocron owned by Darth Sidious.
After learning to use a Double-bladed lightsaber, Sith apprentice Maul built his own based on a design found in Darth Sidious' Sith holocron. Maul used his lightsaber in his duel with Eldra Kaitis on the moon of Drazkel.
Battle of Naboo usageEdit
Darth Maul used his lightsaber when he dueled Qui-Gon Jinn on Tatooine. During the Battle of Naboo, Maul used his lightsaber against Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Maul was able to mortally wound Jinn. During his duel with Kenobi, Maul's lightsaber was bisected. Despite this, Maul was able to push Kenobi and kick his lightsaber into a pit and used his lightsaber to shower sparks at the young Jedi and force him to let go. When Maul lowered his guard, Kenobi saw his chance and jumped towards him. Using Jinn's lightsaber, Kenobi seemingly killed Maul by cutting him in half. Maul and his lightsaber fell down the shaft, presumed dead and lost.
In truth, Maul survived and was found by his brother, Savage Opress. Opress recovered the lightsaber from Lotho Minor and returned Maul to Dathomir to be healed by their mother, Talzin. Maul's lightsaber was given back to him by his brother and he used it in his quest for vengeance against Kenobi.
Skirmish over RaydoniaEdit
Maul used it to kill innocent villagers on Raydonia in order to bring Kenobi to him. When Kenobi arrived Maul, and his brother fought and subdue Kenobi. Maul planned to use his lightsaber to torture Kenobi until Asajj Ventress arrived. Maul and his brother fought Kenobi and Ventress until they escaped.
Outer Rim swathEdit
Maul continued to use this lightsaber as he and his brother cut a swath across the Outer Rim. Maul used his lightsaber against Jedi Knight Finn Ertay and an an unidentified Nikto Jedi at an Outer Rim spaceport. Following his duel with the two Jedi, Maul used his lightsaber to cut through several security droids at the Cybloc transfer station in order to raid the station. After finding a vault, Maul used his lightsaber against his brother in order to prove himself as the master and Savage, his apprentice.
At Florrum, Maul used his lightsaber to force several pirates under Jiro of Captain Hondo Ohnaka's gang to join him. After killing one of Hondo's loyal lieutenants, Maul fought Kenobi while Savage fought Adi Gallia.
Rise to powerEdit
When Maul and Opress were found by the Mandalorian Death Watch, Pre Vizsla took Maul's lightsaber as the two Zabraks recovered. Maul was given back his lightsaber after Vizsla agreed to an alliance between Death Watch and Maul. Maul used his lightsaber against the various criminals of Black Sun and the Hutt Clan, as he was planning to form a united criminal organization, the Shadow Collective.
Following the Shadow Collective's takeover of Mandalore, Maul used the lightsaber in a duel against Vizsla. Despite losing it during their duel, Maul was able to use Vizsla's Darksaber to behead him. Following Kenobi's escape from Mandalore, Maul, in addition to the Darksaber, used his lightsaber against his former master, Darth Sidious. Unfortunately, Maul lost both his lightsaber and the Darksaber when Sidious subdued and captured him.
Maul later recovered both weapons. He reforged the end of his original lightsaber into another double-bladed weapon which he used during his duel with Ahsoka Tano during the Siege of Mandalore. At the conclusion of the duel, a disarmed Ahsoka grappled with Maul, cutting the catwalk he was standing on and causing him to fall. However, Maul was saved by Ahsoka and subsequently taken into custody by her forces while the lightsaber plummeted to the city below.
Behind the scenesEdit
In an interview with The Star Wars Show, Sam Witwer explained that the production of Solo: A Star Wars Story originally planned to reintroduce Maul's double-bladed lightsaber during his scene with Qi'ra. Witwer, however, suggested using either the Darksaber or his Star Wars Rebels lightsaber and the latter remained.
The new second half of the saber seen in Season 7 of The Clone Wars shares the appearance of concept art for Asajj Ventress's lightsaber, that ultimately went unused due to the episodes in question turning into the novel Dark Disciple.[source?]
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Darth Maul (★★★★★) (link))
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber)
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Sith)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Lightsaber Battles
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Legacy"
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Score"
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars states that kyber crystals form the heart of a lightsaber.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ Darth Maul 2
- ↑ Darth Maul 5
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Phantom Apprentice"