Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber was the first personal double-bladed lightsaber of Darth Maul, a Sith Lord who took part in the Invasion of Naboo and the Clone Wars. It was cut in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi during their duel on Naboo, and Maul continued to use the remaining half in battle until he lost it in his duel with his former master on Mandalore.
Origins and SpecificationsEdit
After learning to use a Double-bladed lightsaber, Sith apprentice Maul built his own based on a design found in Darth Sidious' Sith holocron. Maul used his lightsaber in his duel with Eldra Kaitis on the moon of Drazkel.
Battle of Naboo usageEdit
Maul used his lightsaber when he dueled Qui-Gon Jinn on Tatooine. During the Battle of Naboo, Maul used his lightsaber against Jinn and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Maul was able to kill mortally wound Jinn. During his duel with Kenobi, Maul's lightsaber was cut in half. Despite this, Maul was able to push Kenobi and kick his lightsaber into a pit and used his lightsaber to shower sparks at the young jedi and force him to let go. When Maul lowered his guard, Kenobi saw his chance and jumped towards him. Using Jinn's lightsaber, Kenobi seemingly killed Maul by cutting him in half. Maul and his lightsaber fell down the shaft, presumed dead and lost.
In truth, Maul survived and was found by his brother, Savage Opress. After his brother returned him to Dathomir to be healed by his Mother, Talzin, Maul was given his lightsaber by his brother and used it in quest for vengeance against Kenobi.
Skirmish over RaydoniaEdit
Maul used it to kill innocent villagers on Raydonia in order to bring Kenobi to him. When Kenobi arrived Maul, and his brother fought and subdue Kenobi. Maul planned to use his lightsaber to torture Kenobi until Asajj Ventress arrived. Maul and his brother fought Kenobi and Ventress until they escaped.
Outer Rim swathEdit
Maul continue to use this lightsaber as he and his brother cut a swath across the Outer Rim. Maul his lightsaber against Jedi Knight Finn Ertay and Nikto jedi at a Outer Rim spaceport. Following his duel with the two jedi, Maul use lightsaber to cut through several security droids at the Cybloc transfer station in order to raid the station. After finding a vault, Maul us his lightsaber against his brother in order to prove himself as the master and Savage his apprentice.
At Florrum, Maul used his lightsaber to force several pirates under Jiro of Captain Hondo Ohnaka's gang to join him. After killing one of Hondo's loyal lieutenants, Maul fought Kenobi while Savage fought Adi Gallia.
Rise to powerEdit
When Maul and Opress were found by the Mandalorian Death Watch, Pre Vizsla took Maul's lightsaber as the two zabraks recovered. Maul was given his lightsaber after Vizsla agreed to an alliance between Death Watch and Maul. Maul used lightsaber against the various criminals of Black Sun and the Hutt Clan.
Following the Shadow Collective's takeover of Mandalore, Maul used the lightsaber in duel against Vizsla. Despite losing it during their duel, Maul was able to use Vizsla's Darksaber to behead him. Following Kenobi's escape from Mandalore, Maul, in addition to the darksaber, used his lightsaber against his former master, Darth Sidious. Unfortunately, Maul lost both his lightsaber and the darksaber when Sidious subdued and captured him.
Behind the scenesEdit
In an interview with The Star Wars Show, Sam Witwer explained that the production of Solo: A Star Wars Story originally planned to reintroduce Maul's double-bladed lightsaber during his scene with Qi'ra. Witwer, however, suggested using either the Darksaber or his Star Wars Rebels lightsaber, and the latter remained.
- Darth Maul, Part I
- Darth Maul, Part II
- Darth Maul, Part III
- Darth Maul, Part IV
- Darth Maul, Part V
- Age of Republic - Darth Maul 1
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- The Phantom Menace Golden Book
- The Phantom Menace Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Star Wars: The Prequel Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- Star Wars: Force Arena
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Age of Republic - Obi-Wan Kenobi 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Obi-Wan and Anakin, Part I (Indirect mention only in flashback(s))
- Age of Republic - Count Dooku 1 (Appears through imagination)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber)
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Lightsaber Battles
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars states that kyber crystals form the heart of a lightsaber.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ Darth Maul, Part II
- ↑ Darth Maul, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revenge"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"