Darth Sidious' lightsabers were the pair of nearly identical personal electrum-finish lightsabers of Darth Sidious, built during his apprenticeship under Darth Plagueis. Sidious rarely used his weapons—only doing so when absolutely necessary—as they would have immediately identified him as a Sith Lord. Instead, he preferred to exercise his powers of manipulation and used servants to carry out his hidden agenda.
Darth Sidious had discerning tastes, which was reflected in his lightsabers. They were constructed from nearly indestructible phrik with a flat aurodium blade emitter, and all finished with electrum. Both weapons utilized a corrupted kyber crystal at their cores.
In 19 BBY, Darth Sidious carried both of these lightsabers when he secretly traveled to Mandalore to confront Darth Maul and his apprentice Savage Opress. He wielded both weapons in the ensuing duel, separating the pair and effortlessly dispatching and killing Opress. Maul, using two lightsabers of his own, proved a much tougher opponent and held his own for a while longer. Sidious disarmed Maul and subdued him with a combination of telekinesis and Force lightning.
Second Battle of Dathomir
Sidious later wielded one of his lightsabers during the Second Battle of Dathomir, and used it to fight Mother Talzin in combat. Ultimately, Talzin was defeated with the help of General Grievous and Sidious' apprentice, Count Dooku.
The Galactic Empire's rise
Duel in Palpatine's office
Near the end of the Clone Wars, Sidious fought against Jedi Masters Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar using one of the lightsabers. He slew Kolar, Tinn and Fisto easily, but had an extended confrontation with Windu. The Jedi guided the battle towards the bay window of the Sith Lord's office and out onto the wind-blown ledge outside. Windu disarmed the Sith Lord with a surgically precise kick to the face, throwing Sidious off-balance and causing the Sith Lord to drop his lightsaber as he flailed for purchase. The lightsaber fell out the window into the seemingly bottomless streets and alleyways of Coruscant below just before Skywalker showed up. Consequentially, Sidious was forced to use only one lightsaber from there on out.
Showdown in the Senate Building
After Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda realized what had happened, Yoda went to face the Emperor personally at the Senate Building, while Kenobi headed off to kill Darth Vader. Yoda surprised Sidious, who told him that his arrogance blinded him and that his apprentice would be more powerful than both of them. Yoda answered Sidious that his faith in Vader was a mistake along with his faith in the dark side. Yoda then dueled Sidious, who used his remaining lightsaber to face the Jedi Master. The duel brought them to the Galactic Senate Chamber, the heart of the Senate. Sidious hurled Senate pods at Yoda, and the effort to avoid them exhausted the Jedi Master. Sidious then blasted Yoda with Force lightning, but with the last of his strength, the Jedi Master repelled it enough to send both himself and Sidious over the pod's edge. Sidious was able to hold on to a senate pod, while Yoda fell to the Senate floor, leaving only his cloak. With Bail Organa's help, Yoda fled the Senate Building and would go into exile.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices" (Vision to Yoda)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice" (Vision to Yoda)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir 4
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Darth Vader (2017) 1
- Darth Vader (2017) 5 (Vision to Darth Vader)
- Lords of the Sith
- Lords of the Sith audiobook
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Yoda – The Jedi Master" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. Emperor Palpatine - Rise to Evil" (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Weapons & Uniforms: The Sith) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 15 (Highlights of the Saga: Palpatine Unmasked)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 35 (Databank A-Z: Kyber Crystals–Laser Cannons) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 38 (Helmets: Commander Thire) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 72 (Databank A-Z: Mace Windu) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Convergence (Card: )
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (First identified as Darth Sidious' lightsabers)
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection
- Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga: The Official Collector's Edition
- (Picture only)