Darth Sidious's lightsabers were the pair of nearly identical personal electrum-finish lightsabers of Darth Sidious, built during his apprenticeship under Darth Plagueis. Sidious rarely used his weapons—only doing so when absolutely necessary—as they would have immediately identified him as a Sith Lord. Instead, he preferred to exercise his powers of manipulation and used servants to carry out his hidden agenda.
Darth Sidious had discerning tastes, which was reflected in his lightsabers. They were constructed from nearly indestructible phrik with a flat aurodium blade emitter, and all finished with electrum. The weapons utilized a Kyber crystal at their cores.
In the Jedi Order, when a Jedi reached a high rank, they would be gifted pieces of electrum for their lightsaber, exemplified by the electrum finish of the personal weapon of Mace Windu, one of the most high ranking Jedi in the order. This tradition was respected up until the end of the Jedi Order. Palpatine, however, put electrum on his lightsabers to show how little he cared for the ways of the Jedi. He also used indestructible phrik to show that his hate could never be broken.
In 19 BBY, Darth Sidious carried both of these lightsabers when he secretly traveled to Mandalore to confront Darth Maul and his apprentice Savage Opress. He wielded both weapons in the ensuing duel, separating the pair and effortlessly dispatching and killing Opress. Maul, using two lightsabers of his own, proved a much tougher opponent and held his own for a while longer. Sidious eventually dispensed with swordplay and defeated Maul with the Force, subduing him with a combination of telekinesis and Force lightning.
Second battle of DathomirEdit
Sidious later wielded one of his lightsabers during the second battle of Dathomir, and used it to fight Mother Talzin in combat. Ultimately, Talzin was defeated with the help of General Grievous and Sidious's apprentice, Dooku.
The Galactic Empire's riseEdit
Duel in Palpatine's officeEdit
Near the end of the Clone Wars, Palpatine fought against Jedi Masters Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin and Agen Kolar using one of the lightsabers. He slew Kolar, Tinn and Fisto easily, but had an extended confrontation with Windu. The Jedi guided the battle towards the bay window of Palpatine's office and out onto the wind-blown ledge outside. Windu disarmed the Sith Lord with a surgically precise kick to the face, throwing Palpatine off-balance and causing the Sith Lord to drop his lightsaber as he flailed for purchase. The lightsaber fell out the window into the seemingly bottomless streets and alleyways of Coruscant below just before Skywalker showed up. Consequentially, Sidious was forced to use only one lightsaber from there on out.
Showdown within the SenateEdit
After Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda realized what had happened, Yoda went to face the Emperor personally at the Senate Building, while Kenobi headed off to kill Darth Vader. Yoda surprised Palpatine, who told him that his arrogance blinded him and that his apprentice would be more powerful than both of them. Yoda answered Palpatine that his faith in Vader was a mistake along with his faith in the dark side. Yoda then dueled Sidious, who used his remaining lightsaber to face the Jedi Master. The duel brought them to the Galactic Senate Chamber, the heart of the Senate. Sidious hurled Senate pods at Yoda, and the effort to avoid them exhausted the Jedi Master. Sidious then blasted Yoda with Force lightning, but with the last of his strength, the Jedi Master repelled it enough to send both himself and Sidious over the pod's edge. Palpatine was able to hold on to a senate pod, while Yoda fell to the Senate floor, leaving only his cloak. With Bail Organa's help, Yoda fled the Senate Building and would go into exile.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices" (Vision to Yoda)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice" (Vision to Yoda)
- Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 1: The Chosen One, Part I
- Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith 5: The Chosen One, Part V (Vision to Darth Vader)
- Lords of the Sith
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Yoda – The Jedi Master" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. Emperor Palpatine - Rise to Evil" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Darth Sidious's lightsabers)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- Star Wars: Destiny – Convergence (Card: )
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ultimate Star Wars states that kyber crystals form the heart of a lightsaber.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir, Part Four
- ↑ Lords of the Sith