- "David and [D.B. Weiss] are some of the best storytellers working today. Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting."
- ―Kathleen Kennedy
David Benioff is an Emmy Award–winning American television producer and screenwriter best known for creating the critically acclaimed television series Game of Thrones with collaborator D.B. Weiss. Benioff and Weiss were developing an upcoming Star Wars film series, and the first installment is set to premiere in 2022.
The collaborators would have co-produced and co-written the series, which would be separate from the episodic Skywalker saga. According to Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Benioff and Weiss were also working closely with writer-director Rian Johnson, who is creating an upcoming Star Wars trilogy. On October 28, 2019, however, Benioff and Weiss exited the project due scheduling conflicts with Netflix, Inc.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Boucher, Geoff (October 28, 2019). ‘Star Wars’ Setback: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Duo David Benioff & D.B. Weiss Exit Trilogy. Deadline.com.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Game of Thrones creators Benioff and Weiss drop Star Wars movies for Netflix. The Guardian (October 29, 2019).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Byford, Sam (October 29, 2019). Game of Thrones showrunners quit Star Wars trilogy to work on Netflix projects. The Verge.
- ↑ Gartenberg, Chaim (2019-05-14). The Next Star Wars Movie Hitting Theaters in 2022 Will Be from Game of Thrones' Benioff and Weiss. The Verge. theverge.com. Archived from the original on May 19, 2019. Retrieved on May 19, 2019.
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2019-04-13). Lucasfilm Putting the Star Wars Movies 'On Hiatus' After This Year. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on May 3, 2019. Retrieved on May 3, 2019. "As [David Benioff and D.B. Weiss] finish Game of Thrones, they're going to segue into Star Wars. They're working very closely with Rian."
- David Benioff on Wikipedia