- "Stay on target..."
- ―Davish to Jon Vander, during Gold Squadron's trench run at the Death Star
Davish "Pops" Krail was a human male from the planet Dantooine who served as a Y-wing pilot for the Rebel Alliance during the Battle of Yavin. Krail flew in Gold Squadron under the callsign Gold Five during the battle. Along with Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander and Dex Tiree, Krail undertook the first trench run on the Death Star. He aborted his unsuccessful run after Vander and Tiree were both killed, but his fighter was also destroyed by Darth Vader's TIE Advanced x1.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "They came from behind - !"
- ―Davish Krail's last words at the Battle of Yavin.
In 0 BBY, Krail was selected to cover Captain Jon Vander in the first bombing run on the Death Star's thermal exhaust port, located at the end of the meridian trench. He also estimated that there were at least twenty turbolaser batteries along the trench and alerted both Vander and Dex Tiree to keep a lookout for any TIE fighters. Shortly afterwards, they were attacked by Darth Vader himself and a pair of escort fighters. Despite Vander's warnings that they couldn't outmaneuver Vader and his escort, Krail encouraged him to stick to their target, but when Vander was shot down by Vader, Krail was forced to abandon his trench run. In his last words, he attempted to warn Red Squadron of the dangers that lay within the trench before Darth Vader destroyed his engine. The starfighter blazed out of control, exploded, which killed him.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Davish Krail first appeared in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope as "Gold Five." After informing Red Leader Garven Dreis of the deaths of Vander and Tiree, Dreis refers to him as "Gold Leader". It is unknown if this is a movie mistake, an error made by the in-universe character, or Dreis simply acknowledging that Krail was now the acting commander of Gold Squadron.
The character was first given the name of "Davish Krail" in the 1995 "Premiere Limited" set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. After the Expanded Universe was reclassified as "Legends," the name "Davish Krail" was reintroduced to canon in the 2015 reference title Ultimate Star Wars.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. the Death Star - X-wing Assault" (Voice only)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy (Voice only)
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- "Sparks"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only) (as Gold Five)
- "Desert Son"—From a Certain Point of View (Voice only) (as Gold Five)
- "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Davish Krail)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- (as "Pops Krail")
- ; image #6 (of 15) (as "Pops")
- (Picture only)