- "Uh, the navicomputer is heading us right into the moon!"
- ―A B1-series battle droid, shortly before the Malevolence's destruction
The Dead Moon of Antar was a moon that orbited the planet Antar located in the Prindaar system of the galaxy's Inner Rim, in grid square N-12 on the Standard Galactic Grid. In 22 BBY, during the Clone Wars, Jedi General Anakin Skywalker boarded the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser Malevolence and sabotaged its navigation computer, locking it into a collision course with the dead moon. Unaware of Skywalker's modifications, the Separatist starship's crew of B1-series battle droids activated its hyperdrive, destroying the Malevolence and its droid crew when it smashed into the Dead Moon of Antar at lightspeed.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "The idea being that we haven't seen a ship smash into a planet at the speed of light or in hyperspace, so this was the opportunity to show it, and what better ship than the Malevolence?"
- ―Henry Gilroy, on the Dead Moon of Antar's role in the Malevolence's destruction
The Dead Moon of Antar first appeared, albeit unidentified, in "Destroy Malevolence," the fourth episode of the canon animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' first season, which originally aired on October 17, 2008. It was first mentioned, albeit indirectly, in Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races, a 1989 Star Wars Legends supplement written by Troy Denning for Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game. The dead moon was first identified as a "dead moon of Antar" in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, a three-volume Legends reference book edited by Bob Vitas and released on December 9, 2008. This name, albeit capitalized, became canon when it was used in Ultimate Star Wars, a 2015 reference book written by Patricia Barr, Adam Bray, Daniel Wallace, and Ryder Windham.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (as dead moon)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season One
- (as dead moon)
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Dead Moon of Antar)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 22 (Databank A-Z: Gungans–Rako Hardeen)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 38 (Databank A-Z: Baze Malbus–Darth Maul) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- The Star Wars Book (as dead Antarian moon)
- (as dead moon)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game—Based on the map placement of Antar
- According to Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence", the Malevolence was destroyed on the Dead Moon of Antar. Star Wars: The Rebel Files establishes that the Malevolence was destroyed in the Prindaar system, therefore, it can be deduced that the Dead Moon of Antar was located in that system, as well.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destroy Malevolence"
- Rising Malevolence," which includes the Battle of Abregado, before the Mission to Rodia, within the timeframe of the Clone Wars. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the beginning of the Clone Wars and the Mission to Rodia to 22 BBY, the events of the episode must have also taken place in the same year. places the events of "
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Episode Guide
- Galaxy Guide 4: Alien Races
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 280 ("Malevolence (I)")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia