- "Order the fleet to close to a more aggressive range."
"We'll be in more danger."
"We are the only danger here."
- ―Darth Vader and Admiral Ozzel of the fleet during the Imperial attack on the Mako-Ta Space Docks
Death Squadron was the personal Imperial armada of the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader, the Sith apprentice of Galactic Emperor Sheev Palpatine. Following the Battle of Yavin, the Death Squadron was led by the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Executor, supported by five smaller Imperial-class Star Destroyers. One of those support ships was the Devastator, which had been Vader's flagship before the Executor and had participated in the capture of Princess Leia Organa.
- "Deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off the system."
- ―Darth Vader, to Admiral Piett
Death Squadron consisted of one Executor-class Star Dreadnought as its flagship, the Executor, as well as five Imperial-class Star Destroyers, including the Imperial II-class Star Destroyers Avenger, Tyrant, and an unidentified Imperial II-class Star Destroyer, and the Imperial I-class Star Destroyer Devastator. It also featured Gozanti-class cruisers.
Following the Battle of Yavin, the Death Squadron searched for the Rebels' fleet and their new base by launching thousands of probe droids. When Vader's agent, Queen Trios, informed him of the Rebels' fleet's location, Death Squadron was sent to attack the Mako-Ta Space Docks. At first, Vader ordered the Squadron's cruiser to hold their fire as the rebels attempted to ascertain their situation. The Squadron opened fired on the rebels' cruisers and started with General Vanden Willard's cruiser. The Squadron continued to attack and destroy several more of the Rebels' cruisers.
Death Squadron then spotted the arrival of the Millennium Falcon and sent in TIE fighters, along with Vader's advanced TIE to pursue it. The squadron also destroyed several rebel escape pods. However, Leia Organa was able to get some codes from the Squadron's flagship, the Executor, that were able to restore the systems aboard General Jan Dodonna's ship, the Republic. The other rebel commanders were able to use the codes to jumpstart their cruisers and escape. The Republic was immobilized, but covered the retreating rebel fleet before it was destroyed with all hands.
Eventually, a probe droid found the Rebels' base in the Hoth system. Despite Admiral Ozzel's skepticisms, Vader order the Squadron to Hoth. Unfortunately, Ozzel dropped his Destroyer out of lightspeed too close to to the system. Vader, angered by Ozzel's incompetence, relieved him of his position permanently and replaced him with newly promoted Fleet Admiral Firmus Piett.
- Lost Stars
- Lost Stars webcomic
- "Shu-Torun Lives"—Star Wars 50: Hope Dies, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 50: Hope Dies, Part I
- Star Wars 51: Hope Dies, Part II
- Star Wars 52: Hope Dies, Part III
- Star Wars 53: Hope Dies, Part IV
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Darth Vader - Might of the Empire"
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Luke vs. Emperor Palpatine - Rise to Evil"
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return to the Wheel"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Return of the Jedi"
- (First identified as Death Squadron)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Admiral Ozzel (★) (link))
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Admiral Ozzel (★★★) (link))
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars 50: Hope Dies, Part I
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars 49: Mutiny at Mon Cala, Part VI
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars 51: Hope Dies, Part II
- ↑ Star Wars 54: Hope Dies, Part V
- ↑ Star Wars 55: Hope Dies, Part VI