The Death Star's shield generator was an Imperial Military installation on Endor during the Galactic Civil War. The facility housed the generator that powered the SLD-26 planetary shield generator protecting the Death Star II, which was being constructed in orbit of the forest moon. The base was guarded by a garrison of stormtroopers, scout troopers, Imperial Navy Troopers and other Imperial officers, along with a complement of All Terrain Scout Transports and All Terrain Armored Transports. During the Battle of Endor, an Alliance strike team led by General Han Solo infiltrated the bunker that housed the Imperial shield facility and destroyed it. This lowered the shields on the orbiting Death Star, allowing the Alliance Fleet to destroy the battle station.
The shield generator was constructed for the purpose of protecting the Death Star II from attack by Rebel forces. It was a large building over 22.5 meters high, taller than the AT-AT walkers deployed to guard it. At the very top of the structure was a large landing pad for starships such as Lambda-class T-4a shuttles, and a dish for projecting the energy shield. The landing pads had elevators connecting to catwalks below, which had docking ports for the walkers. At least two bunker entrances at ground level allowed ground crews access to a long corridor leading to the bowels of the facility, which housed a variety of generators and other electrical equipment. The rear bunker entrance was built into a hill and equipped with blast doors, and had a small clearing in front of it.
Early in the Galactic Civil War, the Galactic Empire's deep space mobile battle station known as the Death Star was destroyed by the Rebel Alliance during the Battle of Yavin. After its destruction, the Empire set out to build a second Death Star, one far larger and more powerful than its planet-destroying predecessor. They constructed the weapon in orbit of the Forest Moon of Endor and constructed a shield generator facility to protect the Death Star II from attacks on the site of an Ewok village they destroyed. Once completed, the generator was placed under the command of Colonel Dyer, with Commander Igar and Major Hewex offering support.
In 4 ABY, Galactic Emperor Darth Sidious allowed the Rebel Alliance to learn of Death Star II's location. The information was stolen by Bothan spies, many of whom died to retrieve the information, and Sidious intended to use the information to lure the Rebellion into a trap over Endor where the Alliance could be destroyed.
Battle of EndorEdit
- "You Rebel scum!"
- ―Imperial officer, to Han Solo
Once the information was secure, the Rebel Alliance put a plan in place to destroy the shield generator and launch a space-based attack on the Death Star II. General Han Solo led a landing party on Endor that included Princess Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, Chewbacca, the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO, and a number of Rebel troopers. After the group made an alliance with the local Ewoks, Luke left the group to confront his father, the Sith Lord Darth Vader and surrendered himself to an Imperial patrol. The patrol arrested him and brought him to Vader at the shield generator's catwalks. After a short exchange in which Luke attempted to convince his father to let go of his hatred, Vader brought his son before his Sith Master aboard the Death Star.
On Endor, the landing party joined forces with the native Ewoks, who went on to assist the Rebels in their march towards the shield generator. Upon finding how heavily guarded the main entrance was, the Rebels were shown the alternate entrance, which was guarded by only a few Imperial soldiers. Paploo, one of the Ewoks, stole an Imperial speeder bike to distract most of the guards, leaving only one for the Rebels to capture.
With the entrance secure, the Rebels entered the base with the intention of setting charges to destroy it. They quickly found that it was a trap, however, and were captured by Imperial forces, a large contingent of which was waiting outside. The Ewoks attacked the troopers and launched the ground portion of the Battle of Endor, and the Rebels joined in the fight against Imperial forces. The Imperial forces were defeated and the Rebel team destroyed the shield generator, allowing the Alliance Fleet to destroy the Death Star II in orbit.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Battlefront II (Mentioned only)
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Forces of Destiny: The Leia Chronicles (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
- Ewoks Join the Fight
- Star Wars: Forces of Destiny – "Ewok Escape"
- "The Levers of Power"—The Rise of the Empire (Appears in hologram)
- Shattered Empire, Part I
- Aftermath (Appears in flashback(s))
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- (First identified as Death Star's shield generator)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Colonel Dyer (★★★) (link))
- Ultimate Star Wars New Edition