- "A death mark's not an easy thing to live with."
- ―Carlist Rieekan
- "We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems."
Han Solo had a death mark on his head from Jabba the Hutt following his jettison of valuable spice shortly before the Battle of Yavin, although it was lessened to a regular bounty regarding an alive status by the time of the Battle of Hoth. This was not his first death mark, however; his first came from Teroenza after he escaped Ylesia with Bria Tharen.
"Doctor" Evazan was notorious for boasting of the number of systems in which he bore a death mark—a number that seemed to increase every time he mentioned it.
Corran Horn earned a death mark on Drall for murdering six smugglers during his days with CorSec, but this turned out to be a ruse planned by Corran and Gil Bastra to throw off the suspicions of Imperial Liaison officer Kirtan Loor to any plans Bastra and Horn were making to defect from the Empire.
The Empire was known to put death marks on the heads of any pilot who joined the ranks of Rogue Squadron. Bounty hunters Zuckuss and 4-LOM received death marks for their involvement in capturing Imperial Governor Nardix. The postings were overlooked, however, when the pair were contracted to hunt Han Solo.
Crix Madine was given a death mark by the Empire after his defection.
Death marks imposed by the Empire were meant to be a matter of public record and could be accessed by anyone.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition
- Cracken's Rebel Operatives
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: Death Mark) (backup link)
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Galactic Hunters (Card: Imperial Death Mark)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Galactic Hunters (Card: Sith Death Mark)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Galactic Hunters (Card: Death Mark)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook