- "Sorry, Artoo, but I've never jumped into the Deep Core before. It's crowded in there and things move fast and this isn't a well-established route yet, so I think an abundance of caution is warranted."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to R2-D2
The Deep Core, sometimes referred to as the Core of the Galaxy, was a brightly lit region of the galaxy that lay at its very heart. Despite the presence of important city-worlds such as Troithe and Empress Teta, much of the Deep Core was a thinly populated and densely packed mass of stars and planets, dangerous to navigate and largely left alone by galactic explorers. At its center existed an ancient, supermassive black hole that bound the galaxy together. Traveling towards the Core and away from the galactic rim was referred to as going "coreward."
Troithe, an ecumenopolis world in the Deep Core's Cerberon system, was once considered a rival to Coruscant as the cosmopolitan jewel of the Galactic Republic. However, its location in the Deep Core made it ill-positioned for the Republic's expansion into the Colonies and the Inner Rim, causing the world's decline as an industrial powerhouse in the Republic.
By the fifth year[source?] of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's reign, the Galactic Empire controlled a part of that region referred to as the Deep Core Security Zone. Kren Blista-Vanee, a member of Palpatine's Imperial Ruling Council, had been instrumental to the creation of hyperspace routes into the star systems of the Deep Core.
Following the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen traveled to the Deep Core moon of Fex to investigate a biological research ship belonging to Kelen Biolabs that had suddenly gone silent.
During the Galactic Civil War, the archaeologist Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra led Darth Vader to Tython's Meridional Ice Cap in an attempt to prevent the Sith Lord from uncovering the true location of the Rebel Alliance's base on Hoth.
Behind the scenes
In the game Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, the Deep Core is referred to as the Core of the Galaxy. The game describes it as a mysterious place in the center of the galaxy, where a challenge awaited for those who ventured there.
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
- The Star Wars Book
- "Naboo" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Making of Season Two
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 101 (Database: Before the dark times…)