- "Sorry, Artoo, but I've never jumped into the Deep Core before. It's crowded in there and things move fast and this isn't a well-established route yet, so I think an abundance of caution is warranted."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to R2-D2
The Deep Core, sometimes referred to as the Core of the Galaxy, was a brightly lit region of the galaxy that lay at its very heart. A densely packed mass of stars and planets, the Deep Core was dangerous to navigate and largely left alone by galactic explorers. At its center existed an ancient, supermassive black hole that bound the galaxy together. Travelling towards the Core and away from the galactic rim was referred to as going "coreward."
Prior to the Imperial Era, the Jedi Order built a temple on the Deep Core world of Tython. Later Jedi scholars believed the planet to be one of several locations for the Jedi Order's very first temple.
By the fifth year of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's reign, the Galactic Empire controlled a part of that region referred to as the Deep Core Security Zone. Kren Blista-Vanee, a member of Palpatine's Imperial Ruling Council, had been instrumental to the creation of hyperspace routes into the star systems of the Deep Core.
Following the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen traveled to the Deep Core moon of Fex to investigate a biological research ship belonging to Kelen Biolabs that had suddenly gone silent.
During the Galactic Civil War, the archaeologist Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra led Darth Vader to Tython's Meridional Ice Cap in an attempt to prevent the Sith Lord from uncovering the true location of the Rebel Alliance's base on Hoth.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the game Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, the Deep Core is referred to as the Core of the Galaxy. The game describes it as a mysterious place in the center of the galaxy, where a challenge awaited for those who ventured there.
- Tarkin (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (First appearance)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 38 (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 40
- Shadow Fall
- Star Wars: Jedi Challenges
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- ↑ Shadow Fall
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Heir to the Jedi
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Nexus of Power
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ Battlefront: Twilight Company
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 40