- "Sorry, Artoo, but I've never jumped into the Deep Core before. It's crowded in there and things move fast and this isn't a well-established route yet, so I think an abundance of caution is warranted."
- ―Luke Skywalker, to R2-D2
The Deep Core, sometimes referred to as the Core of the Galaxy, was a brightly lit region of the galaxy that lay at its very heart. A thinly populated and densely packed mass of stars and planets, the Deep Core was dangerous to navigate and largely left alone by galactic explorers. At its center existed an ancient, supermassive black hole that bound the galaxy together. Traveling towards the Core and away from the galactic rim was referred to as going "coreward."
History[edit | edit source]
By the fifth year[source?] of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's reign, the Galactic Empire controlled a part of that region referred to as the Deep Core Security Zone. Kren Blista-Vanee, a member of Palpatine's Imperial Ruling Council, had been instrumental to the creation of hyperspace routes into the star systems of the Deep Core.
Following the Battle of Yavin, Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen traveled to the Deep Core moon of Fex to investigate a biological research ship belonging to Kelen Biolabs that had suddenly gone silent.
During the Galactic Civil War, the archaeologist Doctor Chelli Lona Aphra led Darth Vader to Tython's Meridional Ice Cap in an attempt to prevent the Sith Lord from uncovering the true location of the Rebel Alliance's base on Hoth.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
In the game Star Wars: Jedi Challenges, the Deep Core is referred to as the Core of the Galaxy. The game describes it as a mysterious place in the center of the galaxy, where a challenge awaited for those who ventured there.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The High Republic: Light of the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin (First mentioned)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (First appearance)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 38 (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 40
- "Eyes of the Empire"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Appears in flashback(s))
- "Against All Odds"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall
- Victory's Price (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 12: The Siege" (Mentioned only)
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 14: The Tragedy"
- Star Wars: Jedi Challenges
- "Bakurat"—Dark Legends (Mentioned only) (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Super Graphic: A Visual Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Traveler's Guide to Batuu
- The Star Wars Book
- "Naboo" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian: Making of Season Two