- "I decided the only way we can break the blockade is if I pilot the Defender right into their battleship and take out their commander."
"This way, I'm the only one at risk. Besides, the Defender is damaged already."
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano
The Defender was a Venator-class Star Destroyer that served in the Galactic Republic naval forces' Open Circle Fleet during the Clone Wars against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Several months after the outbreak of the war in 22 BBY, the planet Ryloth was invaded by the Separatists, and was later blockaded by a large fleet of warships commanded by the Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk. Sometime after the Separatists' occupation in 21 BBY, the Defender, along with the Venator-class Star Destroyers Resolute and Redeemer, was part of a Republic task force led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, his Padawan Ahsoka Tano, and Admiral Wullf Yularen, which was sent to break through the blockade.
Upon the arrival of the Defender and the two other Star Destroyers in the Ryloth system, Tuuk was able to lure the Republic fleet into a trap, and while the starfighter squadron led by Tano was distracted, the Neimoidian summoned Separatist reinforcements to the system, outnumbering and catching Skywalker's fleet off guard. The additional reinforcements forced Skywalker to order a full retreat, but not before all three Star Destroyers sustained heavy damage, with the Redeemer breaking apart in space under heavy fire.
After the two remaining ships made their escape from the system, Skywalker devised a plan to take down the blockade without having to suffer anymore casualties, which resulted in the Defender being evacuated of all crew and passengers to the Resolute, and Skywalker taking control of the damaged Venator. The Jedi then returned to the Ryloth system in the Defender, where he spoke to Tuuk aboard his Lucrehulk, stating that he had returned to surrender the Star Destroyer and all its crew in return for relief supplies being transported to the Twi'leks on the surface. However, Skywalker's plan was soon discovered by the blockade, although too late, and the Jedi, evacuating in an escape pod, sent the Defender into the Lucrehulk, destroying the Star Destroyer.
Description[edit | edit source]
As a Venator-class Star Destroyer, the Defender was wedge-shaped with two bridges and a large dorsal hangar bay. The Star Destroyer was also equipped with escape craft, a hyperdrive generator, a deflector shield generator, and was armed with DBY-827 heavy turbolaser turrets and medium dual turbolaser cannons.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Defender made its first appearance in "Jedi Crash," the thirteenth episode of the first season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series, which aired on January 16, 2009, albeit in the episode's opening newsreel. It later made its full appearance and was identified as the Redeemer in the first season's nineteenth episode "Storm Over Ryloth," which aired on February 27 of that same year.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (First appearance) (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth" (First identified as Defender)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Lords of the Sith (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Supply Lines", which included the Separatist invasion and establishment of the blockade to in between the events of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film and "Bombad Jedi", which take place in 22 BBY. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas also dates the events of "Blue Shadow Virus" and "Innocents of Ryloth" to 21 BBY. As "Storm Over Ryloth," including the destruction of the Defender in the Ryloth system, takes place between these two episodes according to , it must also take place in 21 BBY.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash"