The Defiance was an MC80 Star Cruiser in service to the Alliance to Restore the Republic by the closing stages of the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire and participated in the decisive Battle of Endor.
The Defiance was an MC80 Star Cruiser produced by Mon Calamari Shipyards, and as such was equipped with a class one hyperdrive, ten ion engines that allowed the starship to reach speeds of 975 kilometers per hour, and deflector shield generators. It was armed with turbolasers, ion cannons and tractor beam projectors. As a Star Cruiser of the MC80 variant, it was crewed by over 5,000 and could carry ten starfighter squadrons.
- "Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor."
- ―Admiral Gial Ackbar, during a briefing before the Battle of Endor
By 4 ABY, the Defiance was part of the fleet of the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War against the Galactic Empire. Along with other MC80 Star Cruisers such as Home One, Nautilian, and Independence, the Defiance participated in the climactic Battle of Endor where the Rebel Alliance sought to destroy the second Death Star and defeat Emperor Sheev Palpatine.
Rebel Alliance Admiral Gial Ackbar's strategy for success was for the capital ships and Star Cruisers to form a perimeter around the second Death Star while starfighters moved into the superstructure of the incomplete battle station and destroy it from the inside. However, the battle was in actuality a trap by Emperor Palpatine to finally destroy the Rebel Alliance, and Imperial naval forces managed to block the rebel ships from escaping as the second Death Star was revealed to be fully operational, destroying several Rebel Alliance capital ships including the Nautilian and the Liberty.
Believing that the Rebel Alliance would not have another opportunity, General Lando Calrissian convinced Admiral Ackbar to attack Imperial warships head-on, confident that they would have a form of protection against the second Death Star's superlaser, and also believed that rebel forces could inflict more Imperial casualties. By the end of the battle, the second Death Star was destroyed, Emperor Palpatine was killed by his own Sith apprentice, Darth Vader, and Imperial forces retreated by order of Imperial Vice Admiral Rae Sloane.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Defiance was first mentioned in the canon encyclopedia, Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles written by Landry Q. Walker and released on April 3, 2018. It first previously appeared in the Star Wars Legends video game, Star Wars: X-Wing, released in February of 1993.
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (First mentioned)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles establishes that the Defiance is an MC80 star cruiser, which Ultimate Star Wars establishes was manufactured by Mon Calamari Shipyards, can carry ten starfighter squadrons, and has a crew of over 5,000.
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- ↑ Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY. Because the Defiance participated in the Battle of Endor, it must have been part of the Rebel Alliance by that time.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing