A derivative of the Lambda-class family, the JV-7 was designed to correct some weaknesses in the original Lambda design. The craft boasted a higher top speed, and maneuverability was also improved. It had 20% more shield power and a significantly stronger hull than the Lambda-class.
The aft firing arc was covered by a dual turbolaser turret, making it extremely dangerous to pursue this ship. The JV-7 was also equipped with a pair of concussion missile launchers, like the related Sentinel-class landing craft.
Important Imperial officers tended to prefer the JV-7 over the Lambda-class, especially for transport through contested space. In addition to its personnel transport duties, the JV-7 was regularly employed in escort duties, earning it the classification of "escort shuttle."
At least one escort shuttle fell into the hands of the Imperial splinter faction known as the "hard-liners" stationed on the planetoid RZ7-6113-23. The shuttle was stolen by the bounty hunter Kir Kanos during his escape from the hard-liners' ship storehouse.
In 23 ABY, ex-Imperial Delta-class shuttles were being scrapped by the New Republic. Han Solo acquired the hyperdrive from a ship of this class on Coruscant, and gave it as a present to his daughter Jaina at the Jedi Praxeum. It was later used by marooned Imperial pilot Qorl to escape Yavin 4 aboard his TIE/LN starfighter.
Behind the scenes
In the games that feature the Delta-class, the Lambda-class was toned down. It lacks the potently deadly rear turret, has less armor and shields, and a slower speed than the Delta. The Delta, however, has made few appearances outside of the games.
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Crimson Empire III: Empire Lost 3
- Tyrant's Test
- Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force (Mentioned only)
- The Stele Chronicles
- TIE Fighter: The Official Strategy Guide
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 39 (SEN1, Imperial Landing Craft)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 46 (LAM2, Lambda-Class Imperial Shuttle)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (As "JV-7 Delta-class escort shuttle")
- Endless Vigil