- "That's two demerits, Oleg. Sit down before you get a lot more."
- ―Lieutenant Chiron, to Nazhros Oleg
A demerit was a mark given for misconduct or deficiency given to a person attending an educational institution or serving in a military organization. In the military of the Galactic Empire, the field corps operated a three-demerit punitive system, while the investigative branches operated a four-demerit system.
The demerit system was notably used at the Junior Academy of Applied Sciences on Lothal, and at the various military academies of the Galactic Empire. Sergeant Currahee, who served as a drill instructor at the Academy for Young Imperials on Lothal, was prone to awarding demerits. Demerits sometimes included an accompanying punishment. When Zare Leonis was given demerits at the Arkanis Academy, they came with instructions on his datapad to clean out the academy's diplopod stables twice that week after dinner.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Servants of the Empire: Edge of the Galaxy (First appearance)
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks
- Servants of the Empire: Imperial Justice
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 15: Remastered, Part II
- Blooodline (Mentioned only)
- A Crash of Fate (Mentioned only)