- "The law says when you deal with a demon you must expect to get burned."
Demon was a generic term for a malevolent supernatural creature, which was used to refer to creatures in a number of cultures' mythologies. The term devil was also used. Worlds which had some form of demon myth included Somov Rit (the swamp demon), Ootoola, and Naboo (the Cacodemon). It is unknown if they were somewhat related to the mythological Hell, though some cultures would qualify demonic creatures as hell-spawned.
In a thousand different myths from various Human subcultures, demons sported pointed ears and horns (just like the dark side of the Force entity Smoke Demon), which explains the feeling of discomfort most Humans experienced when meeting a Devaronian. With her red skin, horns and fiery eyes, the Iktotchi Darth Cognus was also compared to a demon.
Many creatures or species were designated as "demon" as well, in an analogy comparing their dangerous nature to that of a devil. Among these were the demonsquid, the Force-sensitive demon Wutzek, the Ice Demon, the Nightmare demon, and the Maelibus. They were also referred to through the name of the volcanic planet Demonsgate. Don-Wan Kihotay considered the Behemoth from the World Below to be a demon.[source?]
Anakin Skywalker was called the "Demon Outsider" by the Tusken Raiders of Tatooine after he slaughtered an entire Tusken village after they tortured his mother to death. Years after that, the Sand People would sacrifice victims in order to appease the Demon Outsider that was rumored to still roam the village.[source?] Palpatine, likewise, was also considered to have turned into a demon after the rise of the Galactic Empire, although it was also believed he may have been a demon all along.
Particularly talented pilots were sometimes compared to devils, as were criminals. Wedge Antilles called Darth Vader a "devil," and Ramiz used the term to describe Serji-X Arrogantus. Luke Skywalker called Han Solo a space-devil.[source?]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith (As swamp demon)
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- The Monster"—Star Wars Gamer 2 (As Cacodemon) "
- "Deal with a Demon"—Star Wars Tales 3 (Mentioned only)
- The Wrath of Darth Maul (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 6 (First mentioned) (As devil)
- Star Wars 8
- Star Wars 10 (First mentioned)
- Splinter of the Mind's Eye (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Annual 1 (As Smoke Demon)
- The Empire Strikes Back Monthly 149 (As Nightmare Demon)
- The Pandora Effect
- Ewoks 6 (As Ice Demon)
- Traitor's Gambit (As Demonsquid)
- Star Wars 89 (As devil)
- The Kathol Rift (Referred to by name in Demonsgate)
- Endgame (Referred to by name in Demonsgate)
- I, Jedi (As Demonsquid)