- "Captain Alyord Smythe. First Lieutenant Denn Maskar. Second Lieutenant Samnel Peers. Second Lieutenant—"
"What? What is it? […]"
"They're all dead. I'd forgotten, is all."
- ―Shakara Nuress and Nath Tensent
Denn Maskar was a human TIE fighter pilot in the Galactic Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing. Holding the rank of first lieutenant, Maskar was one of twelve TIE pilots who were loaned to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Sanction for an anticipated Rebel Alliance attack. Maskar's squadron ultimately ambushed and defeated the rebel attackers. However, the TIE pilot was killed by an explosion from sabotaged fuel piping almost a month later.
- "These weren't our best. But it's been a difficult period, and once you start replacing pilots the whole squadron's survivability goes down. Maskar went almost a month after Trenchenovu, victim to an explosion on the flight deck. Sabotaged fuel piping purchase from Separatist sympathizers."
- ―Shakara Nuress reflects on Denn Maskar's death
During the Galactic Civil War, the human Denn Maskar served as a TIE fighter pilot in the Galactic Empire's 204th Imperial Fighter Wing, holding the rank of first lieutenant. Six months prior to the Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, Maskar was among a squadron of twelve TIE pilots loaned to the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Sanction by the 204th's Colonel Shakara Nuress. The lending of the pilots was in preparation to defend the Trenchenovu shipyards against an anticipated Rebel Alliance attack.
When the attack came, Maskar's squadron ambushed the squadron of rebel BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bombers which attempted a bombing run on the Trenchenovu shipyards. Losing multiple rebel pilots, the bombers were cut from their first escape route by the Sanction and chose to fly to the other side of the shipyards. Maskar and the other TIE pilots made chase, whittling down the rebels until only the Y-wing squadron's commander, Nath Tensent, remained; he was able to escape into hyperspace.
Almost a month later, Maskar was killed by an explosion on a flight deck caused by sabotaged fuel piping supplied by Alliance sympathizers. Around six months after that, Tensent confronted Nuress, wishing to find the names of the pilots who had killed his squadron so that he could get his revenge. After learning from the colonel that Maskar and the rest of the TIE pilots that served at Trenchenovu had died since the battle, he instead murdered Nuress when she confirmed that she had approved Maskar's squadron's deployment to Trenchenovu.
Behind the scenes
- Alphabet Squadron (First mentioned, simultaneous with Alphabet Squadron audiobook)
- Alphabet Squadron audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Shadow Fall (Indirect mention only)
- Shadow Fall audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Alphabet Squadron establishes that Denn Maskar died almost a month after the battle at Trenchenovu, which took place six months before the Battle of Endor. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY, so Maskar must have perished between 3 ABY and 4 ABY.
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition establishes that all TIE fighter pilots of the Galactic Empire were humans.
- Alphabet Squadron