Sergeant Derek Torent was a Human male senior watch trooper aboard the first Death Star's command center during the Galactic Civil War, having been hand-picked from the infantry division of the Imperial Navy. As such, his duties during this time included acting as a security guard, monitoring sensor arrays, and handling hangar traffic control on the Death Star. In 0 BBY, he monitored external sensor data, always vigilant for Rebel activity. It is likely that he died aboard the Death Star when it exploded in the Battle of Yavin.
Behind the scenes
Sergeant Torent was among the characters who got an action figure from Kenner. He was originally called Death Squad Commander, but upon being released on a The Empire Strikes Back cardback, his action figure name was changed to Star Destroyer Commander, because the original name was too reminiscent of the death squads of Nazi Germany.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Imperial Sourcebook, Second Edition (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sergeant Torent) (backup link) (First identified as Torent)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Death Star Owner's Technical Manual (First identified as Derek)