- "The Jedi Council will assign you a new Master to oversee your final trials. You'll be tested in ways you can't imagine. But when you leave Tython, you'll know what it means to be a Jedi Knight. More importantly, you'll know yourself."
- ―Derrin Weller
Derrin Weller was a Human male Jedi Knight who served the Jedi Order on the planet Tython during the Cold War with the reconstituted Sith Empire. Charged with the protection of the training grounds in the Tythonian Gnarls region, Weller received new Padawans upon their arrival to Tython at the Masters' Retreat, though his duties were interrupted in 3643 BBY when Tython's native Flesh Raiders launched an attack on the training grounds. Forced to order a newly–arrived apprentice into battle against the Flesh Raiders, Weller joined the fight to defend the training grounds after informing the Jedi Council of the situation, but he soon received a leg wound from a blaster–wielding Flesh Raider while rescuing several Padawans. Fortunately for Weller, the injury was non-fatal, and he was quickly evacuated to a nearby medcenter.
Biography[edit | edit source]
- "Flesh Raiders are a species of hostile natives. They're smart enough to use tools and violent beyond reason. I'm sending every able-bodied Jedi down to the Padawan training grounds right away—especially you."
- ―Derrin Weller, to the young apprentice
A Force-sensitive Human male, Derrin Weller was inducted into the Jedi Order and had risen to the rank of Jedi Knight by the year 3643 BBY. Weller oversaw the Order's training grounds in the Tythonian Gnarls, a region on the planet Tython to the north of the Jedi Temple, during the Cold War between the Galactic Republic and the Sith Empire. He maintained an office at the nearby Masters' Retreat, where he greeted newly–arrived apprentices and gave them information on the Order's homeworld before sending them to the Temple to meet with the Jedi High Council. In this capacity, Weller greeted a young initiate who had been trained under several Jedi Masters and had a reputation as an expert duelist despite the learner's youth, but his plans to send the student on a speeder to the Temple were interrupted by an emergency signal that reached his office.
The message was from the Bith Padawan Unaw Aharo, who frantically explained that the Flesh Raiders—Tython's violent native species—were attacking the training grounds and were using blasters. Disturbed by the possibility that the Flesh Raiders might be using advanced weaponry, Weller dispatched every available Jedi at the Retreat down to the training grounds, including the young apprentice who had just arrived, while he contacted the Jedi Council. After he reported the attack on the Gnarls Outpost to Jedi Master Orgus Din and the rest of the Council, Weller himself joined the battle against the Flesh Raiders, but he was shot in the leg while rescuing several Padawans.
While preparing to be evacuated to a nearby medcenter, Weller contacted the apprentice from earlier and ordered the young Jedi to follow up on Aharo's transmission—locate the cave entrance through which the Flesh Raiders were entering the Gnarls and to stop them at the source. After reassuring the student that Master Din was also heading to the cave as reinforcements, Weller terminated the transmission and received treatment for his wound. Following Weller's orders, the apprentice discovered that the Flesh Raiders were being led by a Dark Jedi named Callef, and the young Jedi defeated Callef in battle before Din arrived to seal the tunnel.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "'There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.' Enter your training with an open mind. You might surprise yourself."
- ―Derrin Weller
Derrin Weller was fair-skinned with brown hair and eyes, and during his time on Tython the man wore dark robes like many other Jedi on the world. Weller was calm and reserved in bearing, and he was more than willing to share his knowledge with the young Jedi whom he greeted upon their arrival to Tython. He maintained the same cool head when tense situations arrived, and he understood the value of knowing one's enemy before engaging in battle. Once Weller was wounded in combat, he allowed himself to be evacuated to a medcenter but ensured that the battle would go in the Order's favor despite his absence by sending Master Din and the young apprentice to seal the cave tunnel.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
- "Never rush into a fight before knowing your enemy."
- ―Derrin Weller
A Jedi Knight charged with the protection of the training grounds in the Gnarls, the Force-sensitive Weller was a competent lightsaber combatant and proficient in the use of the Force. He was able to single-handedly rescue several Padawans from many attacking Flesh Raiders, though he received a leg wound in the process.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "I have completed an investigation into the Twi'lek Pilgrims and their corrupt leaders who collaborated with the rogue Jedi Bengel Morr."
- ―Derrin Weller, in his message to the Jedi Knight
Derrin Weller first appears in "Attack of the Flesh Raiders," the opening mission for the Jedi Knight class in the 2011 video game Star Wars: The Old Republic. He welcomes new players to Tython and sends them into the Gnarls to fight the Flesh Raiders, and later contacts players to send them to find the cave that the Flesh Raiders are using to enter the Gnarls. Despite having an office in the Masters' Retreat, Weller is referred to as "Knight Weller" in all conversations. Players who choose dark side options in the mission "Dark Temptations," in which the player can choose whether to spare, kill, or depose the Twi'lek Ranna Tao'Ven as Matriarch of Kalikori village after she participates in a failed plot to kill the player, will receive a message from Weller regarding the situation in Kalikori, as he has been appointed as warden there.
Players who chose to kill Tao'Ven are informed that the new Matriarch is far more cooperative with the Jedi than Tao'Ven—who was reported as being killed by Flesh Raiders—while players who chose to depose her learn that Tao'Ven's successor accepts Jedi law and submits to the Order's authority. Players who chose the light side option of sparing her receive messages from Tao'Ven herself regarding her current situation, and this article assumes that the player chooses only the moral light side options as a Republic Jedi Knight character. Weller is also mentioned in the mission "Early Lessons" when Jedi Knight players speak with Master Relnex at the Gnarls Outpost, while the conversation for Jedi Consular players mentions Yuon Par instead.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic (First appearance)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Jedi Knight Mission: "Attack of the Flesh Raiders" on Tython
- Star Wars: The Old Republic about ten to twelve years after the signing of the Treaty of Coruscant, which is dated to 3653 BBY by Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia. The Old Republic—The Lost Suns 2 takes place ten years after the treaty, one week after the mission to Nar Shaddaa, and around the time of the SpecForce Incident. Since the mission and the incident are respectively part of Act I of the Jedi Knight and Republic Trooper's storylines, and the Trooper's Act I occurs concurrent to Act I of the Smuggler storyline, the general events of Act I for all classes can be assumed to occur in 3643 BBY. The Prologue for each class immediately precedes Act I, and Act III for all classes begins with the start of the Galactic War, which Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia places around 3640 BBY. Assuming that in-universe chronology of the Star Wars: The Old Republic events roughly aligns with the release of story content in real-life as with , the Act III Epilogue must take place near the end of 3640 BBY since it was the chronologically latest story of the The Old Republic base game, which was released toward the end of 2011. Therefore, assuming that The Old Republic takes place over the course of three years per the former of the two aforementioned swtor.com posts, Act I takes place near the end of 3643 BBY. places
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Report on Tython's Twi'lek Pilgrim population from Warden Derrin Weller
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Atonement from Ranna Tao'Ven
- This article assumes that the Republic classes in Star Wars: The Old Republic choose the options that provide the most light side alignment points.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic—Mission: "Early Lessons" on Tython