- "There were no survivors on Devaron. Everyone was killed, including Master Halsey and his Padawan."
- ―Clone Commando Boss reports on the aftermath of the battle
The Devaron massacre was the result of a battle for control of the Temple of Eedit on the planet Devaron by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. The battle was a terrible loss for the Galactic Republic, which suffered yet another blow in its long campaign against the CIS.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
With the Jedi Order in control of the vital Temple of Eedit on Devaron, Count Dooku ordered his recently acquired apprentice, Savage Opress, to take back the outpost, so that the Separatists could have a foothold in that corner of the galaxy. Prior to Savage Opress arriving to the temple, Jedi Master Halsey and Knox, his Padawan, along with their ARF troopers led by Clone Commander Trauma, were defending the temple against Separatist forces, which included B1-series battle droids and B2-series super battle droids. The Republic forces were cut off, with a group of clones led by Trauma in the front to fend off enemy droids, while Halsey, Knox, and a handful of clones defended the temple entrance from a group of battle droids.
The massacre[edit | edit source]
Once Savage Opress arrived, he quickly made his way towards the temple, knocking battle droids out of his way. After Opress quickly killed more than half a dozen ARF troopers with his pike. Commander Trauma then ordered his remaining men to focus their attention on Opress. Trauma rushed towards Opress to face him but was killed when Opress sliced him upwards with his spear, launching Trauma into the air briefly. After Trauma's death, the remaining ARF troopers were killed, and Master Halsey and Knox defeated the droid forces surrounding them. Once Opress had reached the Jedi, Halsey moved forward to face him, ordering his padawan to stay back. Opress was able to quickly dodge Halsey's lightsaber swings, and after disarming Halsey, they briefly fought in hand-to-hand combat. Opress quickly gained the upper hand, striking down Halsey to the ground and impaling him with his spear, killing Halsey. After the death of his master, Knox ran towards Opress, but was killed in a single strike of the spear, sending Knox's body all the way back to the temple door. In the end, the entire Republic force was destroyed, as well as all present Separatist forces except for Opress.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
- "This is not the work of a Sith Lord, or a Jedi... but a reckless, impulsive animal."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
After Opress defeated Republic forces, he contacted Count Dooku informing him that the temple was now under their control, and was ordered to return to Serenno. Upon Opress' return to Dooku's palace, Dooku told Opress that he foresaw that he would do great things as his new apprentice. Dooku believed they would be more powerful than Lord Sidious and rule the galaxy.
After the massacre, Delta Squad was sent to recover the bodies of the fallen Jedi and the Temple's security footage, reporting to the Jedi Temple. After Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi, Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin, and Adi Gallia were informed that everyone at the Temple of Eedit, including the Jedi, were dead, they discussed among themselves who had the ability to carry out the massacre. Master Gallia stated that in the past, only Count Dooku's assassin, Asajj Ventress, was capable of such action. Master Koon believed that it could be a newly appointed Sith Lord. Masters Yoda and Windu showed Kenobi the footage from the temple. Kenobi, upon seeing, thought it was Darth Maul alive. However, Yoda and Windu told him that it was not Maul, but a Zabrak from Dathomir, not Iridonia as Kenobi originally believed Maul was from. The Jedi Council sent Kenobi and Skywalker to Dathomir the village Maul and Opress came from.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist" (Appears in hologram)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure audiobook (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as Devaron massacre)
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 42 (Databank A-Z: OOM-9–Viceroy Bail Organa) (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters"
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide states that the Onderonian Civil War began 22 years before the Rogue One mission, and that it ended 19 years before the mission. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Rogue One mission to 0 BBY. Therefore, the Onderonian Civil War began in 22 BBY and ended in 19 BBY.
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Bacara (★★★★) (link))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of "Monster", which include the Devaron massacre, to 20 BBY.