- "[The Galactic Senate of the Republic] will be made to [resolve its differences]."
"That sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me."
"Well, if it works…"
- ―Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala
In 22 BBY, while Senator Padmé Amidala and then-Jedi Padawan Anakin Skywalker were staying on Naboo temporarily to avoid a potential assassination attempt on the former, they briefly discussed the corruption that had befallen the Republic and wondering how to alleviate it. Skywalker responded that they probably would need to be made to resolve their differences by "someone wise", causing Amidala to guess that what Skywalker was proposing sounded similar to a dictatorship, with Skywalker not denying it and saying it may work.
Under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, the parliamentary Galactic Republic slowly turned into a dictatorship as the Chancellor used the Clone Wars as a pretext to amend the constitution and accrue more executive power. At the end of the conflict, the Republic was finally replaced by a genuine dictatorship, the First Galactic Empire. Other known dictatorial regimes included Hay-Zu's leadership over his fellow Patitites, and the rule of the Albee Dewaw—actually a group of DUM-series pit droids—over the Balnab. This would ultimately be stopped when R2-D2 lead to their defeat while he and C-3PO were on Balnab.
- Obi-Wan and Anakin 4 (Mentioned only; in flashback)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (Mentioned only) (First identified as dictatorship)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? (Mentioned only)
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
Notes and referencesEdit
- Dictatorship on Wikipedia