- "Dioxis! Breathe it, and you're dead!"
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi
When Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi were sent by Supreme Chancellor Valorum to negotiate the blockade of Naboo, the ambassadors were double-crossed by Nute Gunray. The Neimoidians released dioxis gas via gas emitters into the Saak'ak's conference room where the Jedi waited. However, their command of the Force afforded them a sense of the danger, and were able to survive in the toxic environment until a squad of security battle droids arrived with orders to dispose of their bodies.
Thirteen years later, on Cato Neimoidia, Obi-Wan Kenobi identified a toxic gas released by Nute Gunray's mechno-chair as dioxis—though this toxin was also identified as swamp gas, the chemical weapon used by the Separatists on Ohma-D'un earlier in the Clone Wars.
Around 21 BBY, dioxis was used as part of a contest arranged by Count Dooku on his homeworld of Serenno. Within a construct known as The Box, eleven bounty hunters competed in a series of tasks to prove their worthiness to be part of a team that would abduct Supreme Chancellor Palpatine on Naboo. The first task involved the competitors having to escape a room that was filling with dioxis gas.
Behind the scenes
For the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "The Box", it was originally intended to fill the chamber of the first challenge at the Box with water instead of Dioxis. According to supervising director Dave Filoni, however, when they wrote the story, they had yet to solve water, leading the production crew to drop the water in favor of Dioxis. Though they eventually solved for water, the constrained FX budget for the episode necessitated sticking with Dioxis.
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace unabridged audiobook
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace comic (as "gas")
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace junior novel
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace video game
- Star Wars: Episode I Jedi Power Battles
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Box"
- Labyrinth of Evil
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Dioxis) (backup link)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 13 (JIN3, Qui-Gon Jinn)
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Champions of the Force (Card: Dioxis Gas) (backup link)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Galactic Hunters (Card: Dioxis Grenade) (backup link)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy at War
- The Bounty Hunter Code: From the Files of Boba Fett
- Lords of Nal Hutta