- "Allow me to present the return of the infamous Blue Shadow Virus."
"The Blue Shadow Virus?! I thought that deadly disease was extinct."
- ―Doctor Nuvo Vindi and Padmé Amidala
A disease was an affliction or condition that altered the structure or performance of biological creatures. These maladies usually had negative effects on beings, impeding their health and possibly leading to death. Diseases could originate naturally, but they could also be engineered for the purposes of biological warfare.
A disease known as the Blue Shadow Virus was weaponized by the Faust Doctor Nuvo Vindi during the Clone Wars. The deadly virus was briefly released on the planet Naboo, but the intervention of Jedi Knights Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi led to the discovery of a cure for the ailment.
An incurable disease of unknown origin called bloodburn affected starship pilots. Usually fatal, the symptoms of the illness could be treated through injections of hadeira serum, as well as through diet and moderate exercise. The racing career of the human pilot Greer Sonnel was ruined after she contracted bloodburn.
Not all diseases were fatal. Afflictions such as acne left visible scars on the skin of some humans, but their health was otherwise unimpacted. Such individuals included the Imperial Major Steen Borkas and the White Worms gang member Rebolt.
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 14 (Databank A-Z: Dengar–Domino Squad)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 25 (Databank A-Z: Hydroid Medusas–Imperial Academies)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Unlimited Power
- Gadgets and Gear
- "Anakin Skywalker" – Star Wars Encyclopedia