- "Meanwhile, send a distress signal...."
- ―Darth Vader
Distress signals were signals sent by starships in emergency situations calling for help. The signal could be sent for a multitude of reasons, including ion storm damage, asteroid damage, incapacitation of the crew, or in times of armed conflict, damage as a result of enemy action. Distress signals were also emitted by escape pods after they were launched.
Known Uses[edit | edit source]
During the Clone Wars, the Republic Assault ship Prosecutor was boarded by Delta Squad in the Corbantis system. When a Lucrehulk-class battleship entered the area in an attempt to take the ship for the Confederacy of Independent Systems in an exchange with Trandoshan Slavers, Advisor sent out an urgent distress signal for aid in combating the confederacy. The RAS Arrestor responded and in coordination with the squad, defeated the enemy ship, and returned the ship into Republic custody.
During the Skirmish at Kuat Drive Yards led by Raymus Antilles, the facility sent a distress call to the Star Destroyer Tyranny which was stationed at Fresia on a security assignment at the directive of Darth Vader. The distress call led to the Star Destroyer leaving its post to assist, leaving Fresia vulnerable to a Rebel attack.
Types of distress signal[edit | edit source]
- An SOS signal was the simplest type of Distress Signal.
- Emergency Code Nine Thirteen was an emergency code used by the Jedi Order, which simply stated that the Jedi sending the code had no contact on any frequency.
- Emergency Code Zero was an example of an Imperial distress code, signalling that a ship receiving that signal was to diverge from its current assignment and assist the signal sender.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 2: The Battle of Coruscant (Mentioned only)
- Tales of the Jedi: The Sith War 4: Jedi Holocaust (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Overlords" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic Commando
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars 1 (First mentioned)
- Rebel Force: Target
- Star Wars: Empire at War
- Star Wars 45: Death Probe (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 49: The Last Jedi (Mentioned only) (as rescue signal)
- (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 61: Screams in the Void (Mentioned only)
- Shadows of the Empire novel (Mentioned only)
- Shadows of the Empire audiobook (Mentioned only)
- "Little Empires"—The Kathol Outback
- "Showdown"—The Kathol Rift