- "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi, sensing the destruction of Alderaan
A disturbance in the Force, also known as a disruption in the Force, a Force Disturbance, or a tremor in the Force, was an anomaly in the currents of the Force, the powerful energy field which bound all beings, that could be sensed by Force-sensitives, such as Jedi and Sith.
- "It's like a flood of black water… …Rushing in… Clouding my senses… … I think… It's a disturbance in the Force"
- ―Luke Skywalker, after feeling a disturbance in the Force
The Force was a powerful energy field which bound all being and could be sensed by Force-sensitives. Feeling a disturbance in the Force let the one who felt it to know what was happening elsewhere in the galaxy. It channeled through the heart and mind. It could be caused by events of a cataclysmic nature, such as a large group of people dying at the same time. One sensing a disturbance in the Force might react in pain and confusion, due to feeling empathetic mental anguish at the time.
- "What is thy bidding, my master?"
"There is a great disturbance in the Force."
"I have felt it."
"We have a new enemy, the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
- ―Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine discuss Luke Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker's suffering due to his mother being killed by Tusken Raiders and subsequent slaughter of an entire Tusken village on Tatooine created a disturbance in the Force so powerful that Yoda felt it from halfway across the galaxy on Coruscant.
The resurgence of Darth Maul on Lotho Minor, as willed by his brother Savage Opress and Mother Talzin, caused a disturbance in the Force powerful enough to be sensed by Skywalker on Stobar, Asajj Ventress on Tatooine, and Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Coruscant.
Upon Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine's execution of Order 66, Yoda sensed a powerful disturbance in the Force as Jedi throughout the galaxy were killed by clone troopers that they had commanded. His skill allowed him to escape the same fate and flee from the planet Kashyyyk with the aid of friendly Wookiees. Skywalker's former Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, sensed Skywalker's fall to the dark side immediately prior, but did not realize what exactly had occurred, and had no time to think about it when she was thrown into a fight for her life against the clones aboard the Venator-class Star Destroyer Tribunal. Maul, who was a prisoner aboard the ship, also sensed what had happened, as well as the Jedi deaths, and asked her if she had felt it when she was forced to release him from the Mandalorian vault he had been held in as a diversion. The Lasat Jedi Master Jaro Tapal also felt a disturbance in the Force onboard the Venator-class Star Destroyer Albedo Brave over Bracca, giving him enough time to strike down his Clone Commander and warn his Padawan, Cal Kestis, of their betrayal.
Later, Darth Sidious sensed the death of Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus as a disturbance in the Force that had altered the fate of the planet Lothal, though he could not sense exactly how. Minister Veris Hydan felt that the seizure of the Lothal Jedi Temple might provide clarity into the matter.
Palpatine/Darth Sidious, in his new role as Galactic Emperor and speaking via hologram with Darth Vader, described Luke Skywalker's potential emergence as a Jedi as a "great disturbance in the Force."
The First Order's use of Starkiller Base to obliterate the Hosnian system resulted in a massive disturbance in the Force that was felt by Leia Organa Solo at the Resistance base on D'Qar. Organa also buckled at a shudder in the Force upon the murder of her husband, Han Solo, at the hands of their son, Ben.
During the fight on Kef Bir, Ben felt the disturbance in the Force that her mother from the Resistance base on Ajan Kloss was dying to sacrifice herself to her son back to the light side, and Rey have felt it too for the loss of her General, even though Darth Sidious from Exegol have felt it too and that she had disrupted his plan. In the decisive victory in the Battle of Exegol, Finn felt the disturbance in the Force that Rey's dying until she has been resurrected by Ben using the Force healing as he along with his mother being part of the Force.
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Visions – "The Elder" (Ambiguous canonicity)
- Star Wars: Visions – "Akakiri" (Ambiguous canonicity)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars Annual (2015) 4
- Star Wars Expert Guide
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brothers"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shattered"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Character Encyclopedia - Join the Battle!
- Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wolves and a Door"
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens novelization
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker