A docking clamp or docking claw was a device that starships used to attach themselves to other ships as a means for ships to latch onto one another, many times for boarding or for goods transfer purposes.
Docking clamps were capable of attaching themselves to another starship through mechanical and magnetic means, securely enough that the tremendous forces of sublight was not enough to dislodge the other ship. These features were often taken advantage of by customs patrol ships, such as the Rendili StarDrives Imperial customs corvette, for boarding action purposes, as well as by The Sabertooth-class assault/rescue vessels, which used docking clamps and tractor beam grappling systems to forcibly move starships off the battlefield.
The Viscount-class Star Defender was equipped with multiple docking clamps, allowing it to dock with multiple capital ships simultaneously, making it one of the largest known ships to have docking clamps.
The Twilight was among the vessels to be equipped with docking clamps.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire
- The Clone Wars 2
- The Last Jedi
- The Hutt Gambit
- Han Solo at Stars' End (First mentioned) (as docking tackle)
- Scavenger Hunt (as docking claw)
- "The Capture of Imperial Hazard"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10 (as docking claw)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- "Drone Alone"—Star Wars Comic 10 (Mentioned only)
- Legacy (2006) 10