History[edit | edit source]
- "Oh yes, the people on the crashed ship formed a community, and after a while the city sprung up around the survivors of that crash. The city itself grew up in a radial formation around the Dowager Queen itself, which was long ago pilfered for any useful mechanical items or electronic components. The metal itself was melted down and used to make some of the city's oldest buildings."
- ―Mayor Mikdanyell Guh'rantt, to a spacer
At the time of the Dowager Queen's arrival at Tatooine, Mos Espa was small enough that the crew didn't notice it, and assuming that the planet was uninhabited they attempted to land, where a sandstorm wreaked havoc on the power, display, and guidance systems on the Queen, causing it to crash.
Captain Lis Kaslan and the other survivors—the original "colonists"—built their first city, Eisley, out of the wreckage, while others who left went to found Bestine Settlement. The original inhabitants of Tatooine later renamed the city "Mos Eisley" to coincide with Mos Espa.
The city of Mos Eisley grew up around the wreck. As buildings were constructed, the ship remained in its place, standing nearly vertically in the sand. It was later made into a first-class hotel, because of both its novelty and location at the intersection of Dune Street and Inner Curved Street. The hotel became popular during conventions and trade shows that came to Tatooine.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Dowager Queen made an appearance in the special edition release of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Shadow Games
- When the Desert Wind Turns: The Stormtrooper's Tale
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Swap Meet: The Jawa's Tale
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
- Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron
- The Jabba Tape
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley
- Galaxy Guide 1: A New Hope, Second Edition
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition
- "Bridge to the Universe: Digital Technology and the Making of The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition"—Star Wars Insider 32 (Picture only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Crash Site Memorial)
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- Secrets of Tatooine
- Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 33 (TAT21-22, Tatooine - Mos Eisley)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 80 (TAT50, Tatooine - Colonization)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: Looking for Droids) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 1