- "Are you finished messing around?"
- ―Quinlan Vos, to Obi-Wan Kenobi, after the latter fights a dragonsnake
The dragonsnake (also spelled dragon snake) was a large, predatory reptile that dwelled in the muddy waters of certain planets, including Dagobah and Nal Hutta. During the Clone Wars, the Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi had a run-in with a dragonsnake while searching for Ziro the Hutt on Nal Hutta. Years later, Luke Skywalker crash-landed on Dagobah, where his astromech droid R2-D2 was saved by a friendly dragonsnake.
Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Living in the murky waters of swamp-covered planets such as Dagobah and Nal Hutta, the dragonsnakes were large serpentlike beasts with sharp fangs. Although voracious, they were incapable of digesting metal.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Dragonsnakes were believed to be predatory animals, living off the flesh of other creatures, but were in fact intelligent creatures and some were even friendly who enjoyed helping others. They hid under the muddy water and amongst gnarltree roots, waiting for their next meal to come close enough. After snatching its prey, a dragonsnake would then dive back under the water. They were amongst the most fearsome reptiles and were considered untameable.
History[edit | edit source]
At some point during the pan-galactic conflict known as the Clone Wars, the Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Quinlan Vos attempted to track down Ziro the Hutt on Nal Hutta. During the mission, Kenobi was attacked by a local dragonsnake. The creature was killed when the Jedi Master thrust his ignited lightsaber in the dragonsnake's head.
In 3 ABY, the aspiring Jedi Luke Skywalker accidentally landed in the middle of watery peat bog on Dagobah. A friendly dragonsnake that hid there snatched Skywalker's astromech droid R2-D2, believing that he was drowning. The friendly dragonsnake then spat out R2 back on dry land and went on its way.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (Head only)
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Journey to Dagobah"
- The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi?
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back junior novelization
- Star Wars: Squadrons (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (Mentioned only)
Non-canon appearances[edit | edit source]
- "The Dragonsnake Saves R2-D2"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back
- The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First identified as dragonsnake)
- Journey Through Space (First identified as dragon snake)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Nexus of Power
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Scrap Metal (Card: Dragonsnake)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 3 (Droid Directory: R2-series Astromech Droids, Part 2)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Alien Archive
- Star Wars: Outer Rim
- Star Wars: How Not to Get Eaten by Ewoks and Other Galactic Survival Skills
- Gadgets and Gear
- "Battle of Hoth and the Second Death Star" – Star Wars Encyclopedia (Indirect mention only)