- "Good luck, Han Solo. We'll have you flying in no time."
- ―Drawd Munbrin, to Han Solo
Drawd Munbrin was a human male recruitment officer that served as a chief in the Galactic Empire. By 13 BBY, Munbrin was stationed in Coronet Spaceport, where he encountered the future smuggler Han Solo. Munbrin gave Han the surname Solo.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Encounter with Han[edit | edit source]
In 13 BBY, Munbrin was stationed in Coronet Spaceport enrolling the potential recruits for the Empire. One day, a young man named Han appeared and was interested in joining the Empire and becoming the best pilot in the galaxy. When Munbrin asked Han his surname, Han stated that he didn't have one and indicated to the officer that he was alone. Munbrin decided to assign Han the surname "Solo" and sent him on his way to academy on Carida.
Legacy[edit | edit source]
The story of how Munbrin gave Solo his surname was made known. A Snivvian bounty hunter, however, believed the story of Munbrin's encounter with Solo to be deliberate disinformation and believed instead that Solo was a direct descendant of the Prince-Admiral Jonashe Solo, a member of the ancient Corellian royalty. A Crimson Dawn enforcer, on the other hand, believed that Solo was the grandson of the Corellian pirate Dalla Suul and that Munbrin misheard his surname when recruiting him.
At some point, Han's son Ben Solo discovered how his father acquired his surname. However, while speaking with Snoke after the destruction of Luke Skywalker's Jedi temple, Ben stated that he disliked his surname and that his father was a lie.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Munbrin's line when he gives Han his surname was the first line written for the film's script back in 2012 when Lawrence Kasdan pitched the film to Disney CEO Bob Iger some weeks before The Walt Disney Company acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. While he was talking with Simon Kinberg and Michael Arndt, Kasdan told the pair about the moment when Han gets his name and how it happens.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Han Solo - Imperial Cadet 1
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition audiobook
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 1
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide (First identified as Drawd Munbrin)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- The Rise of Kylo Ren 2
- The Paradise Snare
- Zakarin, Jordan (May 15, 2018). THE MOST IMPORTANT LINE IN SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY WAS THE FIRST ONE WRITTEN. SYFY WIRE. Archived from the original on May 25, 2019. Retrieved on May 26, 2018.