- "I doubt I’ll ever win any prestigious literary awards for my work, but I’m okay with that."
- ―Drew Karpyshyn
Drew Karpyshyn is a Canadian video game designer, video game writer, and author. After working at a credit union for some time, he eventually became a game developer. He joined BioWare and became the senior writer and one of the core game designers on the critically acclaimed game Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
He worked as a writer on the game Star Wars: The Old Republic and wrote two novels set in the same era, The Old Republic: Revan and The Old Republic: Annihilation. Karpyshyn left BioWare in February, 2012 to work on other projects. He returned to the company in September, 2015 only to left again in March, 2018.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
As a child, he was a big fan of Star Wars. Between the ages of 8 and 12, Karpyshyn dressed up as a Jawa for Halloween. When his friend told him Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father, he was wholly unconvinced.
Career[edit | edit source]
On July 15, 2003, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was released on the Xbox. Karpyshyn was the lead writer and one of seven members of the core design team. Development of the game began around December of 2000, and it was first unveiled at the 2001 Electronic Entertainment Expo. Knights of the Old Republic received a great deal of praise and awards. According to Karpyshyn, the game "let me get my foot in the door with LucasArts," eventually leading to his career as a Star Wars novelist.
More significantly, he published his first Star Wars novel, Darth Bane: Path of Destruction. It was also his first hardcover book. In 2007, he quickly wrote a sequel, Darth Bane: Rule of Two, and recently published the third book in the series, Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil. He also saw the release of the acclaimed Mass Effect game.
Works[edit | edit source]
|2003||Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic||Game||Senior Writer, Core Game Design, Manual Writer|
|2006||Heritage of the Sith||Magazine article||Author|
|2006||Darth Bane: Path of Destruction||Novel||Author|
|2007||Darth Bane: Rule of Two||Novel||Author|
|2009||Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil||Novel||Author|
|2011||The Old Republic: Revan||Novel||Author|
|2011||Star Wars: The Old Republic||Game||Writer|
|2012||The Old Republic: Annihilation||Novel||Author|
|2016||"A Mother's Hope"||Short Story||Author|
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Karpyshyn, Drew. Drew Karpyshyn Creative Works: Bio. Archived from the original on March 29, 2020. Retrieved on August 17, 2007.
- Karpyshyn, Drew. Drew Karpyshyn Creative Works: F.A.Q.. Archived from the original on March 29, 2020. Retrieved on August 17, 2007.
- Pronounced Kar-pish-in
- February 24: Drew Karpyshyn joins SWTOR team. Archived from the original on June 14, 2020.
- Ajami, Amer (2001-05-18). E3 2001: LucasArts unveils BioWare RPG. GameSpot. Retrieved on September 3, 2007. (backup link not available)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Awards. BioWare. Archived from the original on December 30, 2001. Retrieved on September 3, 2007.
- Karpyshyn, Drew. Drew Karpyshyn Creative Works: Games. Archived from the original on March 29, 2020. Retrieved on September 3, 2007.
[edit | edit source]
- Drew's official Homepage
- Drew Karpyshyn on Wikipedia
- Drew Karpyshyn Interview with RoqooDepot.com September 2008
- Drew Karpyshyn Star Wars Celebration VI Interview with RoqooDepot.com August 23, 2012
- Drew Karpyshyn 'Annihilation' Interview with RoqooDepot.com November 13, 2012