The Droch-class boarding ship, also referred to as the Droch dropship, the Separatist boarding ship, droid landing pod, or pod-hunter, was a model of boarding craft manufactured by Colicoid Creation Nest and used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars against the Galactic Republic.
During the early stages of the Malevolence campaign, the craft were used to hunt down and destroy the escape pods of destroyed Republic fleets so the existence of the Malevolence would be kept secret. They were also used to deploy troops onboard enemy vessels, including the Venator-class Star Destroyer Tranquility and the Coronet.
The Droch-class boarding ship manufactured by Colicoid Creation Nest was one of many boarding and utility vessels used the Confederacy of Independent Systems' naval forces during the Clone Wars against the Galactic Republic. They were small, starfighter-sized vessels with a bell-shaped hull loosely based on the toothspike raptor from the planet Colla IV, and were 18.5 meters in length. Its engines were mounted where a bell's yoke would be located, and around its base were four long, retractable spikes. Centered inside the base was a hatch that provided access to a cramped passenger compartment and a single-seat flight deck.
As its name suggested, the Droch-class was designed for boarding actions against enemy ships. Launched en masse from their mother ships, they could carry six fully equipped troops or battle droids, and they could fly at their targets at a maximum speed of 850 kilometers per hour, where they would proceed to use their spikes to pierce a target ship's hull and anchor themselves. Once a Droch had attached, a plasma cutting ring burned a hole through the hull, and a boarding tube extends from the hatch, where the troops would proceed to enter the target ship. These vessels were also armed with four turret-mounted twin light laser cannons, and were equipped with close-ranged sensors and had one day's worth of consumables.
Behind the scenes
The Droch-class boarding ship first appeared in "Rising Malevolence, the second episode of the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars' first season, which originally aired on October 3, 2008. The ship was later identified in the 2017 reference book Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia, written by Adram Bray, Cole Horton, and Tricia Barr, and published by Dorling Kindersley.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rising Malevolence" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cloak of Darkness"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore" (In flashback(s))
- (First identified as Separatist boarding ship)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 43 (Starship Fact File: Heavy Cruiser Malevolence) (First identified as Droch-class boarding ship)
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 53 (Secrets of Spaceflight: Escape Pods – Part 2)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 30 (Highlights of the Saga: The Betrayal of Captain Argyus)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 19 (Starfighter Aces: Asajj Ventress – Dark Side Assassin) (First identified as Droch dropship)
- Rise of the Separatists
- Collapse of the Republic
- "The Beginning of the Clone Wars" – Star Wars Encyclopedia