- "The Droid Gotra has occasionally gone to extreme measures, certainly, but we want nothing more than peace and freedom for ourselves, just like any sentient species."
The Droid Gotra was a band of lethal repurposed battle droids with grievances against the Galactic Empire for having been abandoned after their service during the Clone Wars who supported droid emancipation. The group was confined to an industrial complex in the bowels of the planet Coruscant and served as muscle for the Crymorah syndicate.
- "Tasked with controlling crime in his sector, he succumbed to temptation by hiring himself out to the Droid Gotra."
- ―Darth Vader, on Phoca Soot
Confined to an industrial complex located in the bowels of the planet Coruscant, the Droid Gotra was a lethal band of repurposed battle droids that supported droid emancipation and served as muscle for the Crymorah syndicate in robberies, kidnapping, illegal salvage, and extortion.
The Droid Gotra was founded by repurposed battle droids with what some considered legitimate grievances against the Galactic Empire for having been abandoned after their service during the Clone Wars. It recruited Q2-B3KO, an articulated holographic color separator who produced propaganda supporting the Separatist Droid Army during the Clone Wars, to disseminate messages of mechanical emancipation.
In 14 BBY, the Empire's base on the Sentinel moon came under attack by insurgents using Separatist equipment and droids. The installation's commander, Moff Wilhuff Tarkin, initially suspected that the Gotra was responsible, but found it unlikely that they would make use of obsolete weapons to send a message to the Empire. Phoca Soot, the Coruscant Security Force prefect of level 1331, hired himself out to the Droid Gotra instead of controlling crime within his sector. However, his duplicity did not go unnoticed and he was executed by the Sith Lord Darth Vader as an example to Coruscant's criminal elements, advising them to relocate their operations to sectors in the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories, lest their activities infringe upon Emperor Palpatine's designs.
In 0 ABY, the Droid Gotra hired the rogue archaeologist Doctor Aphra to recover the Triple-Zero protocol personality matrix, which could turn a protocol droid into a torture specialist, and the prototype BT-1 assassin droid on their behalf. They also meant to have her liberate a droid factory from Karina, a Geonosian queen who survived the Empire's sterilization of Geonosis. Although successful in retrieving the droids, she instead turned them over to Darth Vader and helped him secure Karina's droid factory, as he needed personal troops for his own ends without the Empire knowing.
The Cyban Front, an organization who worked with the Droid Gotra, were hired to participate in the auction of the Rur crystal so it could be destroyed due to its technopathy abilities. Their attempt was unsuccessful, and the two Cyban Front droids were destroyed during a skirmish on the Sorca Retreat.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Tarkin (First mentioned)
- Most Wanted
- Last Shot (First appearance)
- Darth Vader 3: Vader, Part III (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader 4: Vader, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 9: The Enormous Profit, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Doctor Aphra 10: The Enormous Profit, Part II (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Most Wanted
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Tarkin
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- ↑ Last Shot
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Doctor Aphra 9: The Enormous Profit, Part I
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Darth Vader 3: Vader, Part III
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Darth Vader 4: Vader, Part IV
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 10: The Enormous Profit, Part II
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 12: The Enormous Profit, Part IV
- ↑ Doctor Aphra 13: The Enormous Profit, Part V