- "Captain, look!"
- ―Antidar Williams and Maoi Madakor's reaction to the droid
Droid laser turrets were a type of turret-droid armed with turbolasers. They consisted of a gray oblate spheroid body with two barrels protruding from it and a trunk ascending from the top of the spheroid to the surface that the turret was attached to. A droid laser turret was concealed within the ceiling of a hangar within the Trade Federation's modified Lucrehulk-class LH-3210 cargo freighter Saak'ak.
During the blockade of the planet Naboo in 32 BBY, the turret descended and fired upon the Galactic Republic Consular-class space cruiser Radiant VII on the orders of Viceroy Nute Gunray. The turret targeted the cruiser's cockpit, destroying the vessel and killing its crew, Captain Maoi Madakor and pilot Antidar Williams.
Behind the scenes
A droid laser turret first appeared in the 1999 prequel trilogy film, Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace. In the new Star Wars canon it was first identified in the 2018 reference book Star Wars: Complete Vehicles. The identification originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first used in the 2013 reference book of the same name.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles (First identified as droid laser turret)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles, 2018 edition
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the events of Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, including the appearance of the droid laser turret, to 32 BBY.
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles, 2013 edition