A dual-phase lightsaber was a lightsaber that contained two or more kyber crystals, allowing its blade length to be extended or shortened in the middle of combat. Darth Vader's lightsaber was an example of one in which the weapon achieved the feature with two kyber crystals.
Considered antiquated by the time of the Clone Wars, the dual-phase lightsaber was an artifact of an older, more violent time. They contained a series of secondary focusing crystals that, when used, could catch an opponent off guard. This weapon type allowed a wielder to rotate the crystals into a new alignment with the push of a button to change the length of the lightsaber's blade. This generally caused an opponent's guard to falter momentarily as they adjusted to the new blade length, allowing the wielder to press the advantage while their opponent was confused.
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Kyber Saber"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "A Perilous Rescue"
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Flight of the Falcon" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Gambit on Geonosis" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
- Ultimate Star Wars (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force (First identified as dual-phase lightsaber)
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Gadgets and Gear
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition