- "This way we kill two dune lizards with one throw!"
- ―Luke Skywalker, to R2-D2
The dune lizard was a species of carnivorous reptiles found on the Outer Rim world of Tatooine. Dune lizards formed in packs, and their gizzard could be consumed as sustenance. A chef by the name of Porcellus acquired dune lizard gizzards to prepare as an appetizer for the Hutt crime lord, Jabba Desilijic Tiure. They were known to be aggressive towards sentients, at one point having eaten an officer of the Galactic Empire.
Biology and appearance
- "You're going to start by bringing me gizzards. Gizzards from lizards. Dune lizards to be exact. Dune lizard gizzards. Hey, that's fun to say!"
Dune lizards were a species of carnivorous lizards native to Tatooine, a desert planet in the Outer Rim Territories. The quadrupedal reptiles were known to spook eopies, and they also exhibited aggressive tendencies towards sentients. Dune lizards were vertebrates with scaly skin, typically in subdued palettes of brown, though when held in captivity as pets, their skin could come in a variety of hues, including shades of red, yellow and blue. Dune lizards had yellow eyes, a long tail, and frills protruding from their back. A group of dune lizards was referred to as a pack, and there also existed a number of different subspecies. These included the armodragon, dragonet, rill, and scyk, all native to Tatooine. Many of these species of dune lizard were markedly similar in appearance. When vocalizing, dune lizards would emanate a hissing growl.
- "Dune lizards. Hate 'em. They think this is their territory. One Imperial officer gets eaten, and suddenly it's my problem. Now it's yours. Kill 'em—the lizards, not the troops. Don't have any credits left in the budget, but maybe I can work out some other payoff."
- ―Pfilbee Jhorn, to a spacer
During the time of the Galactic Civil War between the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic, circa 1 ABY, Imperial Custodial Officer Pfilbee Jhorn oversaw a number of pest control measures from his post in Bestine, capital of Tatooine. When an Imperial officer ended up getting eaten by dune lizards, Jhorn sought to contract the services of a spacer to eliminate all of the lizards encroaching upon their territory. Meanwhile, a Human chef by the name of Porcellus worked at the behest of Jabba Desilijic Tiure, a Hutt crime lord. During his time at Jabba's Palace, Porcellus planned to use stuffed dune lizard gizzards as an appetizer for one of Jabba's meals.
On the planet Dantooine, the Galactic Empire operated a top-secret research facility known as the Warren. The facility was commanded by Colonel Bors Teraud along with the help of a loyal scientist named Doctor Knag. Together, the duo conducted cybernetics research on a number of different species, including dune lizards. A starfighter developed by MandalMotors known as the G1-M4-C Dunelizard fighter was named after the dune lizard. Dune lizards were also associated with the idiom, to "kill two dune lizards with one throw." The Rebel Alliance hero and Tatooine native Luke Skywalker mentioned this saying to his droid R2-D2, while en route to the planet Honoghr.
Behind the scenes
Dune lizards appeared in the video game Star Wars Galaxies, a massively multiplayer online-role playing game developed by Sony and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. Dune lizards in Star Wars Galaxies are almost identical to scyks and rills, as all these creatures use the same model with different textures.
- Star Wars (1977) 32 (First appearance)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed (Indirect mention only)
- The Last Command (Mentioned only) (First identified as Dune lizard)
- The Last Command audiobook (Mentioned only) (First identified as Dune lizard)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Nightsister's Revenge (Card: Dune Lizard) (backup link)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Pfilbee Jhorn Quest: "Tatooine" on
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Online Adventures—Chapter 6: Masters of the Wild
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Ruins of Dantooine
- Star Wars Technical Journal of the Planet Tatooine
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Quest: "Jabba's Palace : Porcellus" on Tatooine
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided—Point of Interest: "The Warren" on Dantooine
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed
- The Last Command