Dune zaywars were a species of tusked creature. The Church of the Force devotee Dasha Promenti used a blaster pistol with a handle made from a dune zaywar's tusk while she lived on the planet Jakku, around thirty years after the Battle of Endor.
Behind the scenes
The tusk of a dune zaywar first appeared as part of a prop in Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, a film released in 2015. The substance was not identified in the film, but was named in the reference book Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary, written by Pablo Hidalgo and released the day after the film.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance) (tusk only)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (First identified as Dune zaywar)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition