- ―Dyer confronts Solo
Dyer was a male human who served the Galactic Empire as a Colonel during the Galactic Civil War against the Alliance to Restore the Republic. When the Empire began construction of a second Death Star in orbit of the moon Endor, Dyer was stationed on the moon's surface as the commander of the Death Star's shield generator bunker, with Commander Igar and Major Hewex serving under him. When the Alliance began their attack on the incomplete Death Star in the Battle of Endor, a squad was sent to the surface of Endor and successfully infiltrated the bunker in order to destroy it. Dyer and a group of Imperials then confronted the Rebels as they attempted to set explosive charges inside the bunker, but the Rebel General Han Solo hurled a toolbox of explosives at the Colonel, knocking him over a railing and down into the generator room below. The Rebels were ultimately successful in destroying the generator and then the Death Star II itself. Dyer had brown hair and eyes and fair skin.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "I had the opportunity to play a very minor part in the film as an Imperial officer. In the Endor power station, who jumps out from behind a wall, at the power station, and holds a gun on Han Solo then gets hit with a toolbox and then falling into a generator room below. And my big line was 'Freeze!'
- ―Ben Burtt, discussing his role as Dyer in the Return of the Jedi audio commentary
Colonel Dyer appeared for the first time in the 1983 film Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi where he was portrayed uncredited by Ben Burtt, who also worked as the film's sound designer. The character's name was confirmed to be canon by the reference book Ultimate Star Wars, which was released in 2015.
Dyer was a late addition to the film; his character wasn't created in the original revised third draft of Return of the Jedi nor in Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays. In the script, both Dyer's and Lieutenant Renz's lines were merged and the person who shouts "Freeze! You Rebel Scum" was identified simply as "Commander". However, in the latter, Renz was identified as "Commander" while Dyer was named "Imperial officer".
Actor Barrie Holland, who portrayed Renz in the film, recalled that shooting the scene that featured the characters Dyer and Renz was difficult due director Richard Marquand having conflicting views with his assistant director and first cameraman. Shooting the scene took "several beats" in order to get it right, and Holland believed that a stuntman played Dyer before finding out that the character was played by Ben Burtt.
In the 2004 DVD release of Return of the Jedi, Burtt commented about his cameo as Dyer in the audio commentary. The scream that Dyer makes when he is knocked off the catwalk into the generator room was meant to be an attempt at replicating the Wilhelm scream, which Burtt has attempted to include in all of the films on which he has worked.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Return of the Jedi junior novelization
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Force Collection
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi DVD audio commentary
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas (01-04-1982). Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi Revised Third Draft. Archived from the original on June 23, 2002. Retrieved on June 24, 2018.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays
- ↑ "The Men Who Built the Empire"—Star Wars Insider 96
- ↑ "25 Years of Return of the Jedi!"—Star Wars Insider 105