The E-5 blaster rifle was the standard-issue armament of the OOM and B1-Series battle droids and the elite BX-series droid commando. The E-5 blaster rifle was a powerful, light, but somewhat inaccurate weapon.
The weapon had a large gas chamber that allowed for powerful blasts. It was originally a BlasTech design that was reverse-engineered by Baktoid Armor Workshop for use by its droid troopers. The fact that the weapon was intended for use by non-living wielders allowed BAW to skimp on some of the finer points - such as the fact that short barreled weapons are comparatively fragile and produce a great deal of heat over repeated firings.
During the Clone Wars, E-5 blaster rifles were still used by B1 battle droids, but they were rivaled by the B2 super battle droids, which had a wrist-mounted blaster instead of a rifle, something that proved to be a more effective and versatile weapon.
Behind the scenes
In the Krome Studios version of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, many Imperial troops were using laser-guided rifles that resemble the E-5 blasters as seen and proven in the concept art of the game as well.[source?]
- Star Wars: Episode I toy line
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Episode I The Visual Dictionary
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 104 (BAT1-2, Battle Droid Blaster)
- Star Wars: Republic Commando: Prima Official Game Guide
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith: Prima Official Game Guide
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary (Picture only)
- Star Wars Fandex Deluxe Edition
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Ultimate Sticker Collection: Star Wars: Battles of the Clone Wars
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Battle Droid: C-3PO) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: C-3PO: Battle Droid) (Picture only)
- Suns of Fortune
- (Picture only)