The E3-standard starship lifeboat was a type of escape pod manufactured by His Grace the Duke Gadal-Herm's Safety Inspectorate. Grand Master Yoda used one in his journey to the planet Dagobah to live in exile after the rise of the Galactic Empire.
The pod had four main legs that used clamp locks to prevent sliding. Tractor Field Restraints were used to hold the occupants. The ship had a slow engine, even for a civilian vessel, only having 300G thrust. Illuminated steps on the landing ramp also ensured visibility in dark landing zones.
Usage by Yoda
Although small, the craft afforded reasonable living space for beings of Yoda's stature. The lifeboat served as Yoda's initial shelter during his exile on Dagobah, providing a convenient camp with protection from the torrential rains, pests, and predators. However, it started to degrade within a year due to Dagobah's swampy environment. As the first shelter was consumed by the swamp, Yoda built a new home for himself (using several cannibalized parts from the pod) and lived there until his death.
Behind the scenes
The E3-standard starship lifeboat would have appeared in the 2005 film Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith in a scene where Yoda travels to Dagobah on board the ship. However, the scene was cut in the final compilation of the film. The Databank uses a footage from the deleted scene in Yoda Biography Gallery, in which the lifeboat is visible. The name of the boat was confirmed to be canon in Ultimate Star Wars, a reference book released in April 28, 2015.
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (Appears in deleted scene(s))
- Crimson Reign 3 (Indirect mention only) (In flashback(s))
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as E3-standard starship lifeboat)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- (First pictured)