- "You think this pilot acted alone? He was dispatched from the installation on Eadu. Galen Erso's facility."
- ―Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin to Director Orson Krennic
The Eadu Energy Conversion Laboratory, also known as the Tarkin Initiative R&D base, Imperial kyber refinery or the Laboratory of Conception and Implementation of the High Energies, was a secluded Imperial research and development facility located on the planet Eadu. Guarded by the 975th stormtrooper garrison, the installation was where the development research was done for the Death Star's superlaser under the direction of Galen Erso as part of the Tarkin Initiative. A team of scientists at the complex undertook two interconnected projects: the fusing of kyber crystal shards into larger forms and the creation and redirection of a controlled chain reaction. Attached to the facility was a single-barrel defensive turbolaser cannon and a shuttle station where cargo shuttles delivered crystals for the team in specialized containers.
During Operation Fracture in 0 BBY, a Rebel squad consisting of Captain Cassian Andor, Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Bodhi Rook, Baze Malbus and Chirrut Îmwe traveled to the facility in a UT-60D U-wing starfighter/support craft to find Galen Erso. Director Orson Krennic arrived shortly after the Rebels in his Imperial shuttle to investigate suspicions of a Rebel sympathizer within the scientific ranks. After Erso revealed himself as the traitor, Krennic had Erso's team executed by death troopers. The complex was then attacked by rebel starfighters, consisting of T-65B X-wing starfighters and BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bombers from Blue Squadron.In response, the base's defensive cannon and TIE/ln space superiority starfighters were dispatched to counter the threat, only to be overwhelmed by the Alliance as Îmwe led to the turbolaser's destruction, allowing for the Rebel strike team's success. Ultimately, an alliance torpedo brought severe damages to Director Krennic's landing platform, killing several stormtroopers and mortally wounding Galen Erso, who conversed with his daughter before the remaining Rebels fled from the planet.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Rogue One Graphic Novel Adaptation
- Rogue One Adaptation 1
- Rogue One Adaptation 3
- Rogue One Adaptation 4
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded (First identified as Eadu Energy Conversion Laboratory)
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 47 (Databank A-Z: Max Rebo–Sabacc)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 49 (Weapons & Uniforms: Creators of the Death Star)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Helmets: General Merrick)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 76 (Databank A-Z: Xev Xrexus–Yavin 4)
- "The Heroes of Rogue One" – Star Wars Encyclopedia