- "Infinity. Already sent a ship ahead. A dreadnought…the Emperor's…"
"Go to it. Leave this place. Find a new demesne. Start the game over."
- ―Gallius Rax and Rae Sloane
The Eclipse was an Executor-class Star Dreadnought and was the twin sister ship of the Executor. The Eclipse measured at 19,000 meters in length, and could reach speeds of 100 kilometers per hour utilizing its thirteen engine thrusters. The Eclipse was crewed by thousands of personnel, and was outfitted with a class 1 hyperdrive, a titanium-reinforced hull, over 5,000 turbolaser, ion cannon batteries, and concussion missile tubes.
A bridge deflector shield was also included as a layer of defense and maintained a complement of thousands of starships including TIE/ln space superiority starfighters, TIE/sa bombers, and TIE/IN interceptors. Vessels of the Executor-class also had at least one hangar bay and escape pods.
"Take us in. It's time to rejoin with those who came before."
- ―Brendol Hux, and Rae Sloane upon seeing the Eclipse
Sometime after the Arrth-Eno Mission undertaken by the Rebel Alliance during the Galactic Civil War, Rebel Alliance Admiral Gial Ackbar wrote a report to Commander-in-Chief Mon Mothma regarding the Executor-class Star Dreadnought. In the report, Ackbar mentioned the Eclipse, noting that it was rumored to be the flagship of Emperor Palpatine, which turned out to be accurate. At one point during its service, the Eclipse bombarded a celestial body along with three Imperial-class Star Destroyers.
It was believed to have been destroyed by a fleet of New Republic vessels with Ackbar's flagship, Home One, firing the ship-killing shot by the year 5 ABY. During the Battle of Jakku, after former Grand Admiral Rae Sloane defeated her former ally, Counselor to the Empire Gallius Rax, she was instructed by Rax before he died to take a replica of the Imperialis, find the Eclipse and reform the Empire. The New Republic defeated the Empire at the Battle of Jakku, and Sloane, together with Commandant Brendol Hux, his son Armitage, and a cadre of child soldiers, boarded the Imperialis and traveled to the Unknown Regions of the galaxy, where they discovered the Eclipse. After Brendol spotted the Eclipse, Sloane ordered the Sentinel piloting the Imperialis to bring the ship in and rejoin with the others. Sloane intended to board the Eclipse and rebuild the Empire.
Behind the scenes
The Eclipse was first mentioned in the junior novelization of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi by Tom Angleberger. However, the ship being referred to has since been confirmed to be the Executor. In Aftermath: Life Debt, the ship was confirmed to be Sheev Palpatine's command ship.
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First mentioned, simultaneous with Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook)
- Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook
- Aftermath: Empire's End (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook)
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: Destiny – Way of the Force (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 61 (Databank A-Z: The Unknown Regions–Utai)
- Star Wars: Armada – Super Star Destroyer Expansion Pack (Card: ) (First pictured)
- Star Wars: Armada – Upgrade Card Collection (Card: )
- "The Final Order and the Battle of Exegol" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Emperor Palpatine" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "The Battle of Endor and the Fall of the Empire" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles states that Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts were manufactured at Kuat Drive Yards, could travel at 100 kilometers per hour, had a class 1 hyperdrive and a titanium-reinforced hull, and carried over 1,000 ships and 1,000s of crew. As the Eclipse is of this class, it must share these characteristics.
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Ultimate Star Wars states that the Executor-class Star Dreadnought had concussion missile tubes and thirteen engine thrusters, and that it carried TIE fighters, TIE bombers and TIE interceptors in its main hangar bay. As the Eclipse is of this class, it must share these characteristics.
- Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts are armed with ion cannons. As the Eclipse is of this class, it too must have ion cannons. states that
- Aftermath: Empire's End establishes that Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts were equipped with escape pods. Since the Eclipse is of this class, then it must have escape pods as well.
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi establishes that Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts have bridge deflector shields. Since the Eclipse is of this class, then it must also have bridge deflector shields.
- Star Wars: Armada – Super Star Destroyer Expansion Pack (Card: )
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and further dates Shara Bey and Kes Dameron's move to Yavin 4 in 5 ABY. The move is placed six months after the Battle of Endor by Before the Awakening. Since Aftermath: Life Debt is set just after Shadow Fall, which takes place around six months after the battle, the events of Life Debt must also occur in 5 ABY, around six months after the Battle of Endor.
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!