- "Roona seconds the motion for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum."
- ―Edcel Bar Gane, supporting Chancellor Valorum's ouster in 32 BBY
Biography[edit | edit source]
Opponent of Valorum[edit | edit source]
- "It will come down to partisanship—a contest between the factions of Bail Antilles, and those who allow Ainlee Teem to speak for them. As ever, the Core worlds will stand with Valorum; the near colonies, against."
"He's going to polarize the senate further."
- ―Orn Free Taa and Edcel Bar Gane, on Chancellor Valorum's passage of Senate Resolution BR-0371
Bar Gane had voiced concerns about Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum's actions and their impact on the stability of the Republic as early as 33 BBY, thinking that Valorum's ineffectiveness would further divide the politicians in extremes. During this time, Bar Gane allied himself with the influential yet corrupt Senators Orn Free Taa, Passel Argente and Toonbuck Toora, and was a supporter of Palpatine.
The Clone Wars[edit | edit source]
- Bar Gane: "How dare they!"
- Paulness: "They attack, and now they want peace?"
- Amidala: "Chancellor Palpatine, may I remind the senators that the peace proposal was made prior to their assault!"
- Bar Gane: "That only highlights its insincerity!"
- ―Edcel Bar Gane, Zinn Paulness, and Padmé Amidala, on the Separatist Parliament's offer for peace negotiations[src]
Bar Gane would later continue to serve as senator to Roona during the Clone Wars. Around 21 BBY the second year of the war, the Separatist Parliament proposed a peace negotiation with the Galactic Senate, However, Senators Gume Saam and Lott Dod along with InterGalactic Banking Clan Representative Nix Card conspired with former Jedi Count Dooku, the public leader of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, to have Coruscant attacked, which was successfully carried out by General Grievous's demolition droids. They attacked the Coruscant power generator, which caused a planet-wide blackout. During a session following the attack, Bar Gane expressed anger with the Separatists' move, which fellow Senator Zinn Pauless agreed with.
Personality and traits[edit | edit source]
- "And my opponents?"
"Aside from the obvious ones? The entire Ryloth group—Orn Free Taa, Connus Trell, and Chom Frey Kaa. Also Toonbuck Toora, Edcel Bar Gan [sic], Po Nudo… Do you want me to go on?"
- ―Chancellor Valorum and Senator Palpatine, on the former's Yinchorri embargo act
Bar Gane was a Roonan, a green-skinned humanoid species similar in appearance to a Neimoidian save for his large, blue-silver oval eyes. He spoke with a sibilant voice. Bar Gane was surprisingly intolerant of other species, especially in his private business sector on Coruscant.
During his time on Coruscant, Bar Gane visited the Coruscant Opera House, like many other politicians of the time. Bar Gane was known to have assisted to a representation of The Brief Reign of Future Wraiths, performed by a Bith company, and shared balcony with his political allies.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- "There's a Senator called Edcel Bar Gane, because an Edsel was a bargain at some point. We thought, 'George likes old cars. He's into that. He'll know what it means.'"
- ―Nick Dudman
The name "Edcel Bar Gane" comes from Nick Dudman, the Live Action Animatronics Effects Supervisor on The Phantom Menace. He remarked that "an Edsel was a bargain at some point", knowing that George Lucas, having a passion towards old cars, would understand what it meant.
Bar Gane has been erroneously referred to as "Edcel Bar Gan" in some sources.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Darth Plagueis (As "Edcel Bar Gan")
- Cloak of Deception
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace novelization (First appearance) (As "Edcel Bar Gan")
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sphere of Influence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Pursuit of Peace"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Murders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Wrong Jedi"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices" (Appears in flashback(s))
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 104 (SEN1, Galactic Senate of the Old Republic) (Picture only)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 134 (TIK2, Senator Tikkes)
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Coruscant Limited (Card: Edcel Bar Gane)
- Young Jedi Collectible Card Game (Card: Edcel Bar Gane)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 3
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Card Assault" (Card: Junior Senator) (Picture only)
- (Picture only)