- "Perhaps our ignorance of each other's nature and ways is what makes it appear that we are falling into a black hole of conflict. I would enlighten you and learn from you."
- ―Elegos A'Kla to Shedao Shai
Elegos A'Kla was a male Caamasi Senator of the New Republic who played a substantial role in the resolution of the Caamas dispute and the peace process initiated by Gilad Pellaeon that resulted in the Bastion Accords.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Elegos was born on Caamas in the Kla Clan. Prior to his role in the Senate, Elegos served as the Trustant of the Morymento Caamasi Remnant. During a pirate raid on his colony, he became caught up in a conflict between a pirate and Corran Horn, who was working undercover in the pirate organization in order to locate his wife Mirax. Corran saved Elegos' life, and in return Elegos masqueraded as Corran's manservant to protect his cover story for saving the Caamasi. Elegos' uncle turned out to be Ylenic It'kla, a friend of Corran's grandfather, Nejaa Halcyon and another Jedi.
Elegos was instrumental in aiding Corran in his path to become a Jedi, find his wife, and fight the Jensaarai with Luke Skywalker. After subduing the Jensaari, Elegos shared a vision of his uncle and Corran's grandfather fighting the Jensaarai leaders. The vision helped heal the hate the Jensaari had for Corran.
Elegos continued to aid the New Republic, helping Leia Organa Solo and her family during the Caamas Document Crisis and was a guest at the wedding of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade, attending alongside Mon Mothma, Talon Karrde and Borsk Fey'lya.
Yuuzhan Vong War[edit | edit source]
- "I regret that your actions forced me to slay Elegos. I want you to know I did it myself, with my bare hands. As I strangled him, I read in his eyes betrayal, but only at first. Before he died, he understood the necessity of his death. You must understand it, as well."
- ―Shedao Shai in a message to Corran Horn
By the time of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, Elegos was a New Republic Senator. When Leia Organa Solo came to the Senate as just a consular, to warn the Council of the Yuuzhan Vong, Senator A'Kla was one of the few Senators that had believed her story. He agreed to go with her on a few missions afterward to find facts about the Vong, leading to his self appointed mission.
In the early months of the Yuuzhan Vong War, A'Kla traveled to Vong held space and surrendered. He attempted to negotiate with the Yuuzhan Vong to gain an understanding of their species and seek a peaceful resolution. A'Kla was aware of the risks involved to his life and health (both physical and mental), but believed he had to try regardless. He came to understand the Yuuzhan Vong and their ways, learning about how pain and death were central to the Yuuzhan Vong's life—the hard way. Fortunately, A'Kla's pain tolerance threshold was sufficient to keep him from breaking down.
Shedao Shai often talked to Elegos, and they learned much from each other. However, to prove a point to Corran Horn, Shai murdered A'Kla to show the Jedi how to 'properly' deal with the dead. Shai stated in a message to Horn that A'Kla's eyes showed shock at his betrayal, but understanding at the necessity of his death. His skeleton was fitted with jewels, as well as platinum and gold coating, and was sent to Corran Horn, who had accidentally desecrated the remains of one of Shai's ancestors on Bimmiel.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- I, Jedi (First appearance)
- Vision of the Future
- Star Wars: Union
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide I: Onslaught
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Tide II: Ruin
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Balance Point (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey (Indirect mention only)
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic I: Remnant (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force (Mentioned only)
- Dark Nest II: The Unseen Queen (Mentioned only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "ComicScan: Comics That Almost Were"—Star Wars Galaxy Collector 4 (as Elegos It'Kla)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Force Unleashed Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia